Friday, December 16, 2016

Morning on the Big Slough...

I have spent a couple of mornings this week on the Big Slough, one by myself and this morning with Mary.  Only one duck to show for all this early morning rising but a morning spent sitting by the big slough is better than other possibilities.

Should have made this photo which was taken at dawn in low light conditions with the sun out for a bit better focus. This is a new thing since the last trip, a small kayak stashed on the bank. That's an industrious fellow that got this down to where it is. It's smaller than my canoe so a tote through the thick woods 1/2 mile to a mile is possible with a couple of young strong dudes. Likewise if it was paddled in by water and I have no idea where the launch point might be then the owner still had to walk out. The slough is big at this spot, unwadeable and we have been seeing some ducks here. Might have to borrow this as I have avoided hunting this stretch of water because I did not think I could easily retrieve downed birds.     

On the trip by myself I got one one duck hen. Note the pack in this gear photo. It's such a hike through the bush that I carry my waders in and don them as needed. I needed them to get this duck. 

It makes me thankful that I am still in good enough shape to hike in carrying gear, find my way in the dark and enjoy the solitude of this beautiful area.   


One of my favorite ducking places. This morning at first light we heard a bunch of ducks flying and calling but none landed near us. Other that those first flights probably spotted less than 10 ducks swimming on the slough that we flushed up and were not able to get shots. I kind of figured more ducks down with reports of low temperature in the north.  


Other than the occasional tree across this creek I think I could drive the pontoon boat down here. That would be against the rules as this is a wilderness area and no motors or wheels are allowed. 


Got this photo of a critter crossing a slough. 


What kind of critter goes about on it's all fours but carries a shotgun. 


Mary says "Ducks, Come by me." 



Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

"...I know I've seen that face before," Big Jim was thinking to himself "Maybe down in Mexico or a picture up on somebody's shelf..."Bob Dylan from "Lilly Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts
  • you thought I was after your job
  • Gogol Bordello
  • Cathy's favorite band. They named this blog.
  • Wallace Fun Photos
  • My online photos.
  • J Pigg Stink Bait
  • A good bait, the current favorite
  • Satch
  • WWOZ New Orleans Jazz Fest Radio
  • The Older You Will Get Video Channel
  • I Make all these myself.
  • Stone Wall Studio
  • First Place I Was Ever Mentioned on The Internet
  • Facebook
  • Lots of me on Facebook
  • St. Patrick Catholic Church Lufkin, Tx
  • I am webmaster of the official church web site

    Powered by Blogger