Friday, March 01, 2024

Village Creek State Park...

For a while now I have wanted to check out Village Creek State Park near Lumberton, Tx. I heard the canoeing, fishing and swimming on the creek sandbars was great. It was a cold day when we visited a couple of weekends ago so swimming was out and fishing poor but a very nice place to visit. 

Cathy poses on the creek at the canoe launch. Looks like a pontoon boat would be handier and there was one tied up at a home down stream from the park. I know that most canoe info on the internets gives various other launch points for interesting places to sightsee along this creek and I noted there was a ramp on highway 96 where a boy scout troop had launched that I would like to try.   
Spotted this Love Tree along the trail which seemed to have some ability to make romance bloom. Once on Lake Sam Rayburn along the banks of old Popher's Creek I spotted at tree with "1939" carved in it. 
 It might have been the bare trees of late winter but it seems the RV camping sites were close together without much space. Walk in primitive camping along the trails had some pretty nice looking places for those that travel light.  


We wanted to see the swimming area but the trail required the crossing of a slough which we were not eager to wade on a cold and windy day. Later we checked with a park ranger if we were on the right trail and we were. They said "sometimes the water is up, sometimes it's down." 

Cathy and brother Matt hike along the creek. There were nice sand banks in the background notable because I read sand mining is big right now. It's a valuable commodity apparently and there is some kind of digging project going on along the Farm Road into town near my house that I suspect is a sand mine.    


Good stands of cane along the creek. Nice hiding spots for Sasquatch. It is the Big Thicket. They have been spotted. 


There's a nice pavilion in the park along the creek. The yellow line marks the level of the water during Hurricane Harvey in 2017.  


It's a good park if you like canoeing or primitive camping and I suspect that with warming temps good pan fishing but I have been spoiled with good isolated RV sights the past year so what with the drive to Lumberton being a good couple of hours we probably won't have this park on regular rotation. 

Our purchase of a generator this week has us focused on the free beach front camping that Surfside has to offer so we are gearing up to try boondocking with the cord to State Parks and the RV hook ups cut.     


I do want to return to the area and check out the Ice House Museum in Silsbee. Looks interesting.    



 

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

"...I know I've seen that face before," Big Jim was thinking to himself "Maybe down in Mexico or a picture up on somebody's shelf..."Bob Dylan from "Lilly Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts
  • you thought I was after your job
  • Gogol Bordello
  • Cathy's favorite band. They named this blog.
  • Wallace Fun Photos
  • My online photos.
  • J Pigg Stink Bait
  • A good bait, the current favorite
  • Satch
  • WWOZ New Orleans Jazz Fest Radio
  • The Older You Will Get Video Channel
  • I Make all these myself.
  • Stone Wall Studio
  • First Place I Was Ever Mentioned on The Internet
  • Facebook
  • Lots of me on Facebook
  • St. Patrick Catholic Church Lufkin, Tx
  • I am webmaster of the official church web site

    Powered by Blogger