Wednesday, September 30, 2026

It's Not Every Day You Find Your Photo in a Book You are Reading...

 I read this book, "Making Music for the Snarks" by local author and historian the late Bob Bowman. It's a great history of an early community band The Hoo-Hoo Band, from Lufkin, Tx which rose to great prominence. I was surprised to find two photos of me in the book. I've long participated (on and off) in the local community bands since my high school years and still play in the current Angelina Civic Band.


The Hoo-Hoo Band was formed in the early 1900s in Lufkin, Tx as a community or what they called "Trib" band. You would recognize many of these organizers and players as there are street and parks that carry their names today. Since these were the important movers and shakers of the time many were involved in the timber industry and the book tells how the Hoo-Hoo band became the official band of the Fraternal Order of the Hoo-Hoo which is a fraternity for those involved in this business. The band traveled nation wide and played at the 1904 World's Fair in St. Louis. 

It must have been some fun to be in the band and the order because there were many nonsense words, mysterious ceremonies, costumes, offices such as the Grand Snark and I suspect large amounts of alcohol involved.

In fact I recall once in the 1980s when I was participating in a revival of the band that included replica uniforms provided by the TLL Temple Foundation the Grand Snark himself, who was based in Australia at the time visited Lufkin. I recall the band being invited to a dinner at the old Henderson Red Barn. I don't really remember anyone from the timber industry being present but the Grand Snark played ukulele, sang dirty limericks and the booze was free. When in Hoo-Hoo do as the Hoo Hoos do. 

Here's a photo from a gig outside the 1987 Service League Ball. We played as guests arrived. There are a couple of people in this photo I played with at Civic band rehearsals last night. 


I don't recall this quintet gig at all (maybe still hungover from the Grand Snark visit) and while I remember the euphonium players name I do not recall any of the other musicians and Denum. Piano Company has gone out of business. Photo is captioned "rehearsal for Christmas concert 1985" but we are in the replica uniforms so I suspect some kind of busking event. That's me with the sousaphone.  

I'm not the only family member mentioned as the book covers quite a bit of the town history. My 3rd great uncle Benjamin Franklin Nerren gets a brief shout out as Angelina County Sheriff and Marshal during the time of the Hoo Hoos.

This was a great little book and I bought it at the local library for $10.  

I might get this black cat with the 9 tail for a tattoo. When in Lufkin, do as the Hoo Hoos do. 


 





          

    

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

"...I know I've seen that face before," Big Jim was thinking to himself "Maybe down in Mexico or a picture up on somebody's shelf..."Bob Dylan from "Lilly Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts
  • you thought I was after your job
  • Gogol Bordello
  • Cathy's favorite band. They named this blog.
  • Wallace Fun Photos
  • My online photos.
  • Satch
  • WWOZ New Orleans Jazz Fest Radio
  • The Older You Will Get Video Channel
  • I Make all these myself.
  • Stone Wall Studio
  • First Place I Was Ever Mentioned on The Internet
  • Facebook
  • Lots of me on Facebook
  • St. Patrick Catholic Church Lufkin, Tx
  • I am webmaster of the official church web site

    Powered by Blogger