Tuesday, December 27, 2005

December in East Texas...

A balmy winter day, too windy to go out on the big lake, let's see what we can see just driving around East Texas.

First there was the manger scene in Wells, Texas. That camel's butt is so well aimed at cars passing on US69 that it is bound to be the work of a terrorist sleeper cell in the area. I can understand the main rule of manger scenes, don't have the camel's butt in baby Jesus's face, but for crying out loud, I don't want in mine either.

At least you could stop and mount the camel.







Next was a little stop on a hiking train in the Davy Crockett National Forrest.
Cathy found a tooth ache tree. Chew the little bumps you see on the tree and it numbs your mouth. Stick it in the middle of your head and it numbs...Hope we don't get selected for that random drug test next week.
Here is a shot looking down stream on the Neches. Water is low now but from the looks of the bluff banks this river gets on "a high horse" each spring.







This tree won't be here when the water comes up, the bank around it is almost washed out now. The are many tales about Spanish gold buried on East Texas river banks. I looked while I was in there. We also took a self portrait. While we were goofing around some hunters came along, a party of three, two men and a woman. They stopped where we slid down the steep bank. I think one of the men pointed out and commented that a big one crossed here. Then I spoke, they had not seen us. The man reading sign said, "oh hell." Later I sneaked up behind them and took their picture. Notice the hunter orange in the center of the picture.




Last but not least was a stop at the ancient Caddo Indian mounds. The park was closed, but we climbed a mound on the side of the highway and took a picture into the park of two more mounds. I was trying to get a feel for what the Indians may have been doing back between 500 and 1000A.D. Bound to have been some important stuff, preaching, politicking, star gazing or speechifying going on. Interesting stuff, I am going to study up on the mound builders one day, maybe build one myself.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

"...I know I've seen that face before," Big Jim was thinking to himself "Maybe down in Mexico or a picture up on somebody's shelf..."Bob Dylan from "Lilly Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts
  • you thought I was after your job
  • Gogol Bordello
  • Cathy's favorite band. They named this blog.
  • Wallace Fun Photos
  • My online photos.
  • J Pigg Stink Bait
  • A good bait, the current favorite
  • Satch
  • WWOZ New Orleans Jazz Fest Radio
  • The Older You Will Get Video Channel
  • I Make all these myself.
  • Stone Wall Studio
  • First Place I Was Ever Mentioned on The Internet
  • Facebook
  • Lots of me on Facebook
  • St. Patrick Catholic Church Lufkin, Tx
  • I am webmaster of the official church web site

    Powered by Blogger