Sunday, January 22, 2006

New Link...

With the Carnival season on us I posted a link to French Quarter web cams. I am a little busy with school right now, so if nothing is happening here just look to the right and click to see how a well post Katrina Carnival will be carried on.

Thinking about New Orleans, I have been quite a few times and have many souvenirs, I thought about this one. I scanned it so you could see. It's a coat hanger from the Roosevelt Hotel. It says New Orleans and Pride of the South. I don't know how I got it, kind of like a lost dog collar, it is just something I have always seemed to have. It may have just slipped my mind how it came to me but let us look at the facts:

The Roosevelt Hotel was originally called the Grunewald. Located on Barrone St in the Quarter it was built in 1893. Sometime in the early part of the 20th century the hotel was renamed the Roosevelt. When Huey P. Long, the Kingfish, was governor he liked the Roosevelt so much he built a 90 mile highway from the capital to its door. The name was changed to the Fairmont in 1965. I don't think I have ever stayed there.

Anyway it is a nice hanger, even if I don't know the orgin. I always hang my good suit jackets on it, the wood givers better support to the shoulders and I like to think that maybe the old Kingfish might have hung a nice jacket on it also.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

"...I know I've seen that face before," Big Jim was thinking to himself "Maybe down in Mexico or a picture up on somebody's shelf..."Bob Dylan from "Lilly Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts
  • you thought I was after your job
  • Gogol Bordello
  • Cathy's favorite band. They named this blog.
  • Wallace Fun Photos
  • My online photos.
  • J Pigg Stink Bait
  • A good bait, the current favorite
  • Satch
  • WWOZ New Orleans Jazz Fest Radio
  • The Older You Will Get Video Channel
  • I Make all these myself.
  • Stone Wall Studio
  • First Place I Was Ever Mentioned on The Internet
  • Facebook
  • Lots of me on Facebook
  • St. Patrick Catholic Church Lufkin, Tx
  • I am webmaster of the official church web site

    Powered by Blogger