Friday, August 28, 2009

Went Fishing Once This Week...

It was late Monday evening, just now getting the results up. We played music for a funeral that day at 4pm, had the boat hooked up and ran out for a little late afternoon trolling.

One pass down the 147 bridge yielded no results so we headed over to Calhoun Point and Mary and Cathy picked up a nice hat full of under size hybrid stripers and Kentucky spotted bass. I hung one, but lost him. We have been hunting big stripers a few times lately and while our efforts have been turning up little ones no big boys yet.

Vintage equipment note, the rod Mary is holding (reel is a new spin cast, heavy duty because this is where the action is) is a mid 70s Lew's Speed Stick. Sold back then for about $11 which was half a days or better wages for a high school student. We thought that was a little expensive, my dad probably bought this one. It was a stiff rod, more so than we liked what was then known as a worm rod. I looked these up on ebay, one exactly like this sold yesterday for $65. This is the black model, I have a brown one, action more to my liking with some broken guides, maybe I should fix it up.

Now days I use a rod I bought at Academy, fast smooth taper I prefer, that has caught several #5 pound cats this year. It costs $5 bucks. I worked just a few minutes to make that much money. If it breaks, likely the reel seat or guides, the rod blank seems solid, I throw it away and get another one.
Posted by Picasa

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

"...I know I've seen that face before," Big Jim was thinking to himself "Maybe down in Mexico or a picture up on somebody's shelf..."Bob Dylan from "Lilly Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts
  • you thought I was after your job
  • Gogol Bordello
  • Cathy's favorite band. They named this blog.
  • Wallace Fun Photos
  • My online photos.
  • J Pigg Stink Bait
  • A good bait, the current favorite
  • Satch
  • WWOZ New Orleans Jazz Fest Radio
  • The Older You Will Get Video Channel
  • I Make all these myself.
  • Stone Wall Studio
  • First Place I Was Ever Mentioned on The Internet
  • Facebook
  • Lots of me on Facebook
  • St. Patrick Catholic Church Lufkin, Tx
  • I am webmaster of the official church web site

    Powered by Blogger