Tuesday, June 08, 2010

Social and Pleasure Clubs...

Just a few more pictures from this year's New Orleans Jazz fest of some of the city's Social and Pleasure Club Secondliners. They are called secondliners because they follow the brass band, the first line, in parades and jazz funerals.

The roots of these clubs go back to the benevolent clubs of the mid-late 1800s whose purpose has been largely supplanted by insurance companies today. They can be traced further back than this to west African invitation societies.

Today it cost hundreds of dollars a year to belong to one off these clubs plus clothing expenses and they serve to foster a sense of pride and unity in the community.

These gentleman were dancing to the Pinstripe Brass band. I posted pictures of them several days ago. Getting on down!










Where you get them shoes!

My culture looks pretty pale compared to these guys.

Posted by Picasa

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

"...I know I've seen that face before," Big Jim was thinking to himself "Maybe down in Mexico or a picture up on somebody's shelf..."Bob Dylan from "Lilly Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts
  • you thought I was after your job
  • Gogol Bordello
  • Cathy's favorite band. They named this blog.
  • Wallace Fun Photos
  • My online photos.
  • J Pigg Stink Bait
  • A good bait, the current favorite
  • Satch
  • WWOZ New Orleans Jazz Fest Radio
  • The Older You Will Get Video Channel
  • I Make all these myself.
  • Stone Wall Studio
  • First Place I Was Ever Mentioned on The Internet
  • Facebook
  • Lots of me on Facebook
  • St. Patrick Catholic Church Lufkin, Tx
  • I am webmaster of the official church web site

    Powered by Blogger