Sunday, May 23, 2010

Jazz Fest Slide Guitar...

Saw a couple of the best slide guitarist in America this year at Jazz Fest. Here you see Derek Trucks and blues singer wife Susan Tedeschi (who is no slouch at electric guitar herself) on stage at the fest. Second time I have seen Trucks, his slide guitar is otherworldly covering ground that ranges from the delta blues, to Coltrane covers and middle eastern sounds. Note crutches behind Derek, I did not spot those till later when I uploaded pictures, no wonder he sat whole set.
Another South Louisiana favorite, Sonny Landreth. Have seen him many times dating back to the 90s. He and band played a flawless set demonstrating good songwriting and innovative slide guitar playing. If there was justice in the music world he would be huge.


Note the brown amp head on your left. That's a Dumble, made by eccentric amp guru Alexander Dumble. A little pretty like that might set you back $20,000. Usually see those amps in the rigs of the elite tone hounds, Santana, Robin Ford and so on. Here Sonny plays it through the old closed back Fender cab you see underneath. $200-$300 in a pawn shop or in the want ads, maybe cheaper depending on how the owner's back is feeling that day.

I have owned a couple of those closed back cabs for going on about 30 years, my back feels good, it's my ears that are bad.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Missing the pictures... (assuming there was one or more).

9:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

"...I know I've seen that face before," Big Jim was thinking to himself "Maybe down in Mexico or a picture up on somebody's shelf..."Bob Dylan from "Lilly Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts
  • you thought I was after your job
  • Gogol Bordello
  • Cathy's favorite band. They named this blog.
  • Wallace Fun Photos
  • My online photos.
  • J Pigg Stink Bait
  • A good bait, the current favorite
  • Satch
  • WWOZ New Orleans Jazz Fest Radio
  • The Older You Will Get Video Channel
  • I Make all these myself.
  • Stone Wall Studio
  • First Place I Was Ever Mentioned on The Internet
  • Facebook
  • Lots of me on Facebook
  • St. Patrick Catholic Church Lufkin, Tx
  • I am webmaster of the official church web site

    Powered by Blogger