Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Ladies and Gentlemen the Mudbelly Box Bass...

I built this one string box bass this week and have slowly but surely refining it. It's an old Army surplus ammo box, cut down to sit a bit. Pine one by for a neck. Clothes line for a string with a turtle shell and crystal bridge.












Throw in a little scary southern Gothic art and we have a novelty item with a fair bass sound. Still adjusting the bass sound with bridge height and string tension. I am not so sure if inadequacies with the sound is due to construction or playing technique I'm still working on it. The bottom is open or ported as fine instrument makers might put it. My original vision was the painted hand would be a cut out sound hole.







Lower "leg" for want of a better word is a chair back slat.

For now I call it the box bass, anybody got a better name?






















1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You might call it "The Basstard"!

10:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

"...I know I've seen that face before," Big Jim was thinking to himself "Maybe down in Mexico or a picture up on somebody's shelf..."Bob Dylan from "Lilly Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts
  • you thought I was after your job
  • Gogol Bordello
  • Cathy's favorite band. They named this blog.
  • Wallace Fun Photos
  • My online photos.
  • J Pigg Stink Bait
  • A good bait, the current favorite
  • Satch
  • WWOZ New Orleans Jazz Fest Radio
  • The Older You Will Get Video Channel
  • I Make all these myself.
  • Stone Wall Studio
  • First Place I Was Ever Mentioned on The Internet
  • Facebook
  • Lots of me on Facebook
  • St. Patrick Catholic Church Lufkin, Tx
  • I am webmaster of the official church web site

    Powered by Blogger