Thursday, January 17, 2013

Hatchets and Hammers...

I got on an early spring cleaning kick today. Been working in the red barn hoping that my labors will turn this into some kind of musical instrument shop where if I don't make anything I at least have some room and tools to work on stuff I have. On rearranging old tool chests, some of which belonged to my Dad I turned up a bunch of hatchets and hammers. All of these are old, found or refurbished items. Don't worry, these will not be guitar tools. 

Left to right, an old ball peen. I think a ball peen is the coolest hammer. I have a small one I couldn't find for the picture, it may be packed with the tent stakes in my camping gear. Next is a found item, a modern ax that was laying in the middle of the road. A life time tool, very sharp  no problems cutting down a tree. Next two an old sledge of my Dad's and a re handled hatchet which was part of some kind of multi tool set. Little boy there is a rubber mallet. I bought this one years ago, handle wore out and I know you want to know how you wear out the handle on a rubber mallet. I can't say but I did fashion this new handle with my new jig saw today. Top hammer is my old dock hammer from the mill. The double blade ax was left laying, along with all his beer bottles, by my landlord in the yard of an old rent house. He never came back for it. I have done a bunch of chopping with this one. It's a good tool when sharp. Last but not least some kind of home made job, welded heavy metal, not brass that belonged to my Dad. For use on special occasions only when nothing else will do. 

So who's surprised I got hammer?     Posted by Picasa

3 Comments:

Anonymous G.W. said...

So, do you hammer in the morning???

8:07 PM  
Blogger Carl said...

Heck yeah. I also hammer in the evening. I hammer all over this land.

8:06 AM  
Anonymous Dan said...

In my 30+ year career with the state, I said many things we did seemed like "driving nails with a rubber mallet", so I have a pretty good idea how you could wear one out!

9:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

"...I know I've seen that face before," Big Jim was thinking to himself "Maybe down in Mexico or a picture up on somebody's shelf..."Bob Dylan from "Lilly Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts
  • you thought I was after your job
  • Gogol Bordello
  • Cathy's favorite band. They named this blog.
  • Wallace Fun Photos
  • My online photos.
  • J Pigg Stink Bait
  • A good bait, the current favorite
  • Satch
  • WWOZ New Orleans Jazz Fest Radio
  • The Older You Will Get Video Channel
  • I Make all these myself.
  • Stone Wall Studio
  • First Place I Was Ever Mentioned on The Internet
  • Facebook
  • Lots of me on Facebook
  • St. Patrick Catholic Church Lufkin, Tx
  • I am webmaster of the official church web site

    Powered by Blogger