Tuesday, September 02, 2014

Managing the Internet...

It was another busy weekend. This blog, which judging from the comments I get (thanks for reading Steve) that come in person from flesh and blood friends I encounter each day is a fairly widely read document. You may not know that I manage other websites and facebook pages. These pages blew up with comments and likes due to the activity on each one this weekend. 

First off there was the Back Porch Band gig at Shirley Creek. It was well attended, we urged people to check our facebook page, we posted some photos and this created a lot of activity. 

I also manage the St. Patrick's Catholic Church webpage and facebook. Every week the secretaries do the hard work of putting together the bulletin then they email to me and I post it online with a quick synopsis written for the news and events page and then link all this to facebook. Things were especially busy this week as the Church got a new stained glass window and I figured out how to record the homily (sermon for some) and post it to a reverbnation site that groups normally use for music. Here is the results so far with more ideas in the works. Click HERE to hear Father Gavin's homily from the 5pm bilingual Mass this past Sunday. In addition to this there is also the Christian Initiation Facebook page where I post event news. The stats I get from facebook indicate that with likes and shares and all that we often have a "reach" of 3000 or more when there is a bunch of church events and news. 


Also there is a new project that I am involved with. It's a blues band called the Cotton Square Explosion. Members are me, Danny, Jared and Mike.  It's named after the explosion in 1913 that destroyed the Houston East and West Texas Railroad depot that sat along the tracks by old Cotton Square now called Calder Square. You will hear more about this. Our last rehearsal went well and as proof I'll use the comments from a listener "Like nothing I have heard before, sounds like Bourbon Street or the Allman Brothers." Now I have heard both those things before myself but you be sure to like the Cotton Square Explosion on facebook so you can see for yourself.   Here's an old photo of the damage to the depot. 

So hopefully I won't really blow anything up as you see in the old depot picture. I hope you have as much fun and stay as busy as I do. See you in church, at a gig, somewhere...



 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

"...I know I've seen that face before," Big Jim was thinking to himself "Maybe down in Mexico or a picture up on somebody's shelf..."Bob Dylan from "Lilly Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts
  • you thought I was after your job
  • Gogol Bordello
  • Cathy's favorite band. They named this blog.
  • Wallace Fun Photos
  • My online photos.
  • J Pigg Stink Bait
  • A good bait, the current favorite
  • Satch
  • WWOZ New Orleans Jazz Fest Radio
  • The Older You Will Get Video Channel
  • I Make all these myself.
  • Stone Wall Studio
  • First Place I Was Ever Mentioned on The Internet
  • Facebook
  • Lots of me on Facebook
  • St. Patrick Catholic Church Lufkin, Tx
  • I am webmaster of the official church web site

    Powered by Blogger