Monday, January 05, 2015

What to do When it's Cold...

I was in Gaido's Seafood Restaurant one time. That's a classy place to eat in Galveston. At least it used to be considered real classy because you had to wear trousers and a real shirt when you ate there. Times have changed because now you can get in wearing shorts (nothing permitted bottomless yet) and with declining attitudes toward what is considered classy I bet a tank top from a major designer brand will now gain you admittance. I think in my life time a person will be able to walk right up from the beach in a bikini and flip flops all sun burnt and sandy and get seated. Maybe not me in a bikini, but someone will break that barrier one day and I'll be ok with that. One barrier that won't be broken is what a waiter there told me once when I asked what was good today. He said if the water is hot, eat crab. Water cold, oysters. Well the water is cold so for right now it's the oysters. 

Christmas with the family is past but not too late to thank brother and sister in law Kevin and Margaret for once again bringing the oysters. When they fly in from Indiana for time with the family they always stop by a seafood market for a sack of oysters in the shell. Here's Kevin standing by the grill having an oyster basted in a special sauce created by Chef Morgan.
I would say that the sauce Morgan made was as good as any I have ever had on a plate of grilled or broiled oysters. I am at a time in my life when I am always impressed when my children know how to do stuff well and it's stuff that I have not taught them. 

Morgan and Pop shuck the oysters out and eat them raw. That's Samantha's boyfriend Mitchell in the middle. He's a new blog character and a real good guy. Knows how to deer hunt and catch big bass. Has a good job following Samantha's dad Jim around and holding up cell phone photos of big deer and bass Jim has caught as as he tells the story. It's a good gig if you can get it.  


Real men shuck oysters in pink shirts. 
It was nice having those young boys in there shucking and sucking. I can slack off a little bit. Don't have to lead the charge. Maybe that means I'll last a little longer. 

With the temps expected in the low 30s tonight I'd say oyster time is the right time. 


Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

"...I know I've seen that face before," Big Jim was thinking to himself "Maybe down in Mexico or a picture up on somebody's shelf..."Bob Dylan from "Lilly Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts
  • you thought I was after your job
  • Gogol Bordello
  • Cathy's favorite band. They named this blog.
  • Wallace Fun Photos
  • My online photos.
  • J Pigg Stink Bait
  • A good bait, the current favorite
  • Satch
  • WWOZ New Orleans Jazz Fest Radio
  • The Older You Will Get Video Channel
  • I Make all these myself.
  • Stone Wall Studio
  • First Place I Was Ever Mentioned on The Internet
  • Facebook
  • Lots of me on Facebook
  • St. Patrick Catholic Church Lufkin, Tx
  • I am webmaster of the official church web site

    Powered by Blogger