Sunday, August 21, 2022

The Summer is Ending I think Fishing Report...

This is not the only fishing trip for the month of August but it is the first catfishing trip to Big Sam Rayburn Reservoir. We were greeted at the boat ramp by a meeting of what Nacogdoches comedian Bob Murphy called "the East Texas Hygiene Committee." At least best I remember I think it was Murphy who said that.     

Looks like the committee was cleaning up the remains of a dead carp. There is a lot of dirty jobs in the world and while I have done what I though was a couple of them I have not done this one and I'm glad there are volunteers. 

The fish were not just jumping in the boat but Cathy, brother Matt and myself managed 14 cats most just barely good fillet size with Cathy taking big fish honors on this blue cat. We had invited a few folks out but my brother Glenn was the only one to take us up on the offer and it's a good thing as we if maybe two more people had shown up we would have had to head to the grocer store for more fish caught on a silver hook. 

Fish were deep, the weather was a bit unsettled with wind switching directions several times, a rain shower and distant thunder. There was a definitive end of summer feel to the fishing trip.   


Really I'm not sure it's ever the end of summer for retired people eve though the span of what is seasonally consider summer has passed fast than we thought it would. We have a camp site reserved at Hanks Creek coming up for our shake down cruise of the Rpod and I put Cathy ashore to check our sites. These camp sites were flooded in spring of 2021 had have been closed since then. Construction is underway to repair them and looks like they will be ready in a couple of weeks. 

Note the rip rap in the photo. It's to break the waves when the lake is at normal pool level so you can see how low things are.   


Those cats fried up nice and crisp and are now swimming in our bellies. One of the New Orleans Instagram poop posters I follow has a running joke about mustard on crawfish a marinate of plain old yellow mustard and then a coating of Zatarain's has been a crowd pleaser lately around here. 

Mustard on fish = good.
Mustard on crawfish= don't go there. 

Probably next fish fry photo will be lakeside. 




 

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Even though we didn't fill the live well to the top, this trip is just what the doctor ordered. The contrast in weather, looking around the lake for fish let enjoy nature to it's full enjoyment at that point in time, and not we caught enough fish for a most delicious fish fry!
I suggest everybody to get out to enjoy nature in their preferred way as much as possible.
Of course I recommend fishing on BIG SAM!!!

1:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

"...I know I've seen that face before," Big Jim was thinking to himself "Maybe down in Mexico or a picture up on somebody's shelf..."Bob Dylan from "Lilly Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts
  • you thought I was after your job
  • Gogol Bordello
  • Cathy's favorite band. They named this blog.
  • Wallace Fun Photos
  • My online photos.
  • J Pigg Stink Bait
  • A good bait, the current favorite
  • Satch
  • WWOZ New Orleans Jazz Fest Radio
  • The Older You Will Get Video Channel
  • I Make all these myself.
  • Stone Wall Studio
  • First Place I Was Ever Mentioned on The Internet
  • Facebook
  • Lots of me on Facebook
  • St. Patrick Catholic Church Lufkin, Tx
  • I am webmaster of the official church web site

    Powered by Blogger