Tuesday, March 05, 2024

Go to a Concert...

There are many music scenes around town involving local musicians. You can hit the restaurants for a DAG show (dude and guitar) and at some places you can even catch a country band while you dine. There's always dancing going on at the VFW. There is even a nice little punk scene with shows popping up from time to time and some open mics for the singer songwriter if you want to bring your songs and see if what they say is so. For something a little different this past weekend there were two shows at Angelina Collège, one which I attended and another I played in. 

If you have not caught the Riff Runners under the direction of Dixon Shanks it's a treat. This is a community big band doing pop tunes, rock, jazz, funk and even a bit of country sometimes. The players come from all over East Texas. I have quite a few friends in this band and I always enjoy the show. The next show is May 3rd and since I'll be out of town that date you should go.   

 On Sunday I played with the combined Angelina Civic and College Symphonic Bands. I have participated in local community band programs going back to the mid 70s while I was still in high school. Often times my participation was limited by work and other commitments through the decades but I am excited by this group which under the direction of Paul Berler is growing. I have even been attending the Monday/Wednesday college band class. This old dog of a tuba player might still be capable of learning a few new tricks.     
Concert theme this weekend was "Americana" featuring classics by great American composers. Our next show, which we begin rehearsals for tonight is April 28th and will be big band swing with tunes by Ellington, Basie and others. So far it seems like our audience is limited to family and friends. Our band is close to 50 pieces so that's a pretty good crowd to come and see us but it would be nice to reach a larger audience. This is the kind of fine arts scene that is found in the big city and we have it here. It brings up the quality of life for the community with inspiration and enjoyment for all.   

If you are an old band nerd or even a young nerd whose horn has been sitting in the case and you are in post band camp depression after high school I encourage you to come out. For the student there is scholarship money available. The charts are not terribly hard note wise but Mr. Berler empathizes musical playing with lots of tempo changes, allargandos and dynamics. 

Check the Angelina Fine Arts calendar at the link.   



 

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

"...I know I've seen that face before," Big Jim was thinking to himself "Maybe down in Mexico or a picture up on somebody's shelf..."Bob Dylan from "Lilly Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts
  • you thought I was after your job
  • Gogol Bordello
  • Cathy's favorite band. They named this blog.
  • Wallace Fun Photos
  • My online photos.
  • J Pigg Stink Bait
  • A good bait, the current favorite
  • Satch
  • WWOZ New Orleans Jazz Fest Radio
  • The Older You Will Get Video Channel
  • I Make all these myself.
  • Stone Wall Studio
  • First Place I Was Ever Mentioned on The Internet
  • Facebook
  • Lots of me on Facebook
  • St. Patrick Catholic Church Lufkin, Tx
  • I am webmaster of the official church web site

    Powered by Blogger