Friday, September 30, 2005

Getting it together after Rita...

It has been quite the time this week what with Rita hitting and all. Just got power back yesterday so I am just now getting to the old blog.

First story is that what we thought were going to be 150 nursing home patients that would be coming to our church, St. Patrick's, turned into 800 people on buses and in cars. Me and Cathy along with Morgan and Mary, Rose, ( the kids really did great) who evacuated with he husband Juan from Lake Jackson and maybe about 50 to 100 other volunteers did their best to make these folks at home.

It was an experience, let's just say it was a good chance to live your faith. The people we housed were great, doing their best to keep the church, the halls and the grounds clean. Disaster leaves a lot of cardboard. Here is a picture of my truck after a visit to FEMA headquarters.

We had some distinguished visitors. The Lt. Governer of Texas (forget his name, I didn't vote for him) and a State legislators by the name of Todd Staples. As far as I know they just were there to get their picture made, they brought their own camera people and please correct me if I am wrong but they made no difference what so ever. I did notice they were a lot cleaner than everyone else. In the picture you see the Lt. Gov. and Mr. Staples with his back turned both dressed in blue shirts. I think my friends Nicie and Rosey are asking the hard question, Cowboys or Texans. Must have given the right answer as far as these ladies are concerned. Cowboys.

After five days at St Pat's the folks left for better facilities in Texerkana. It was heart breaking for some of them to still be on the road and moving further away from home.





Lost one sheet of roofing off my house and some flashing torn loose.

Also one cedar tree. Not good for fire wood, but between a big oak limb that fell at my mom's house and a tree on the side of the road I think I have enough fire wood to last the winter.

Also had three tests at school this week, made 88, 89 and a 90. Not bad for studying by flashlight.

If I have left anything out, well you just had to be there, I'll look for ya'll at the next disaster.

6 Comments:

Blogger Dan Maxwell said...

Glad to hear you all made it through. My boss lives in Huntington, too, so I knew you were without power and couldn't blog. Power in Nac. was restored pretty quickly but my computer didn't come back on when the power was restored so my only access for now is from work. I've got a new power supply coming and a new computer in the works, too. I hope to be back in 'round-the-clock' contact soon.

9:58 AM  
Blogger Dan Maxwell said...

David Dewhurst is the Lt. Governor and Todd Staples is our State Senator (you are correct about his being a legislator, I'm just clarifying his specific role).

I'm not trying to be "Mr. know-it-all", it's just that working for the State, I'm familiar with these guys. They are not my bosses, but they are in the chain-of-command, so to speak. They are instramental in determining my pay and benefits every two years!

In the same way, I'm sure they have helped with relief efforts, passing legislation that enables disaster services and funding the agencies who's employees are actually on the ground providing relief.

Beyond that, I'm sure you are right, this was a "photo op." for them, they weren't getting their hands dirty.

12:31 PM  
Blogger Carl said...

Thanks for the link, I had seen that story in the newspaper.

It was just suprising to run into these guys here, it was a bit of a situation at St. Pat's, but things were getting done, it just meant when one meal finished volunteers had to start putting together the next one. There are many places having a tougher time.

My wife did get to shake their hands, she don't like people knowing that and because of her radical gypsy politics and I have not made that known till now.

Hopefully she will not see it here in the comments section.

9:09 PM  
Blogger Dan Maxwell said...

Well, if she does and is bothered, I can share a picture of me with Governor 'good hair' Perry (not an endorsement :-o) if you think that might help?

10:23 PM  
Blogger Carl said...

You show that and I'll tell the story of how Davis Duke snuck on my father in law and shook his had.

It took Pete Fountain to fix that mess!

4:39 PM  
Blogger Dan Maxwell said...

Who is Davis Duke? Did your finger slip and are you saying that ol' KKKer David Duke shook your FiL's hand? That would certainly be much more infamous than any of these guys we've been discussing.

10:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

"...I know I've seen that face before," Big Jim was thinking to himself "Maybe down in Mexico or a picture up on somebody's shelf..."Bob Dylan from "Lilly Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts
  • you thought I was after your job
  • Gogol Bordello
  • Cathy's favorite band. They named this blog.
  • Wallace Fun Photos
  • My online photos.
  • J Pigg Stink Bait
  • A good bait, the current favorite
  • Satch
  • WWOZ New Orleans Jazz Fest Radio
  • The Older You Will Get Video Channel
  • I Make all these myself.
  • Stone Wall Studio
  • First Place I Was Ever Mentioned on The Internet
  • Facebook
  • Lots of me on Facebook
  • St. Patrick Catholic Church Lufkin, Tx
  • I am webmaster of the official church web site

    Powered by Blogger