Friday, October 21, 2005

My old Strat...

Another guitar story.

In about 1982 or 83 I drove a monkey poo brown 1978 GMC pickup to Dallas with the one tracked mind idea that I would buy a Fender Statocaster. A used one was what I wanted, I don't really know why, now that I think about it, I was young and single why did not buying a brand new one cross my mind? Frugal I guess.

Any way I stayed with my friend Jeffrey, he kind of helped guide me around town to a few music shops and I did not see too much I was interested in. I picked up a Dallas paper and scanned the want ads. I saw one , STRAT FOR SALE. Guy was way out from us in Farmers Branch, I called him up and went over there. A little negotiating and it was mine. It was made in 1976 I still own it today.

To tell the truth at the time I bought this guitar, I could barely play it. I mean I could play some cowboy cords and stuff, but had mostly played acoustic guitar and tuba up to this point. The tuba thing is another story.

A Fender guitar just seems to bring out my best, easy to play, I much prefer the maple necks. I also like the black on black pickguard, a 70s thing for Fender, don't see it so much today. At the time Fender was in sort of a down swing, the company was going through some changes, things had not been too good there at the time this guitar was made in 76 and these guitars were not too well thought of. None of this kind of stuff mattered to me at the time and still doesn't, I have not spent 30 minutes with any other strat in all these years.

These guitars are a little more wanted these days, one this year model will bring about four times what I paid for this one. Mine might not do so well, it has some non original parts, things that wore out that I fixed.

This guitar has been an old friend. Being mostly a bass player, my old friend don't get out of the house to gigs much, but there has been many a day I spent learning scales and theory on its fretboard, which is starting to show a few finger prints where my dirty mitts find their favorite places. A little picky on staying in tune sometimes, it is comfortable to my hand. I barely knew what I was doing when I bought it, but it has covered all the bases for me as far as electric guitar needs have gone for these many years.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

"...I know I've seen that face before," Big Jim was thinking to himself "Maybe down in Mexico or a picture up on somebody's shelf..."Bob Dylan from "Lilly Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts
  • you thought I was after your job
  • Gogol Bordello
  • Cathy's favorite band. They named this blog.
  • Wallace Fun Photos
  • My online photos.
  • J Pigg Stink Bait
  • A good bait, the current favorite
  • Satch
  • WWOZ New Orleans Jazz Fest Radio
  • The Older You Will Get Video Channel
  • I Make all these myself.
  • Stone Wall Studio
  • First Place I Was Ever Mentioned on The Internet
  • Facebook
  • Lots of me on Facebook
  • St. Patrick Catholic Church Lufkin, Tx
  • I am webmaster of the official church web site

    Powered by Blogger