Wednesday, March 07, 2007

A Little Texas History...

I'll post a photo by Dan-Danz. You can check out more of his stuff at the link on the side bar. Maybe if I get the facts wrong he will chime in here to correct me. Here is the photo:

This is reportedly the oldest standing wall in east Texas. It is in downtown Nacogodoches, most lately part of the old Blank & Company restaurant, in the time of the Texas revolution it was part of a store where Davy Crockett is believed to have stopped for supplies on his way to the Alamo. To paraphrase the Steve Earle song, nobody told Davy that Texas was part of Mexico. It was a bloody mess, you know the rest.

Anyway in honor of Texas history I like to think about that cold late winter early spring when Davy stopped by here. He was cold, muddy, drunk and stinking. He had not had his shoes off since October. Did I say stinking? He went inside where everybody else was huddled around a smoky little fire that was blackening the walls of the place and they were all cold, muddy, drunk, stinking and had not had their shoes off since July. Did I say stinking?

I think when I am in Nacogdoches today I might try to drive by this spot. Catch a little of that Crockett vibe. Maybe take my shoes off for a while.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Worried about your content?
The Davy Crockett post is a Homerun! Did I say Homerun? YES! YES!

8:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

"...I know I've seen that face before," Big Jim was thinking to himself "Maybe down in Mexico or a picture up on somebody's shelf..."Bob Dylan from "Lilly Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts
  • you thought I was after your job
  • Gogol Bordello
  • Cathy's favorite band. They named this blog.
  • Wallace Fun Photos
  • My online photos.
  • J Pigg Stink Bait
  • A good bait, the current favorite
  • Satch
  • WWOZ New Orleans Jazz Fest Radio
  • The Older You Will Get Video Channel
  • I Make all these myself.
  • Stone Wall Studio
  • First Place I Was Ever Mentioned on The Internet
  • Facebook
  • Lots of me on Facebook
  • St. Patrick Catholic Church Lufkin, Tx
  • I am webmaster of the official church web site

    Powered by Blogger