Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Just Sitting Here Looking...

The old minstrel song dating to 1843 is a favorite quote around here.

So, git outa de way for old Dan Tucker,
He's come too late to git his supper.
Supper's over and breakfast cookin',
Old Dan Tucker sittin' and lookin'

I think it was first used when the kids were little. You know how sometimes in the big free for all of family life there is always someone whose actions seem to fit this description. Someone not quite caught up in the event of the moment, a little removed, but still there, just thinking their own thoughts. Most lately this little verse has been used to describe El Guapo, he seems to be sittin' and lookin' most of the time.

I feel a little like Dan Tucker myself, waiting on my temporary license to arrive from the state board so I can get started to work and schedule my exam.

All the rain made a lake trip a wash out yesterday. Those short fat cats that don't make the size have a few days to grow.

I dreamed last night I was playing the tuba onstage at the old Lufkin High Auditorium. I played one number and then a girl asked me not to play anymore because she had to leave and would not be there to hear it. I said, "It does not matter if you are here to hear it or not, I'm playing it." A true artist for sure. Then as I sat at my music stand a draft passed through causing my music to blow off the stand. I looked around and there was a big bag of clothes pins at the edge of the stage, just for such situations, and I pinned my music to the stand. Then I was roused from a very deep sleep by the elbows of my wife. The elbows did the trick because the alarm was not.

I got up, took Mary to school and now I am back to being Old Dan Tucker.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

"...I know I've seen that face before," Big Jim was thinking to himself "Maybe down in Mexico or a picture up on somebody's shelf..."Bob Dylan from "Lilly Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts
  • you thought I was after your job
  • Gogol Bordello
  • Cathy's favorite band. They named this blog.
  • Wallace Fun Photos
  • My online photos.
  • J Pigg Stink Bait
  • A good bait, the current favorite
  • Satch
  • WWOZ New Orleans Jazz Fest Radio
  • The Older You Will Get Video Channel
  • I Make all these myself.
  • Stone Wall Studio
  • First Place I Was Ever Mentioned on The Internet
  • Facebook
  • Lots of me on Facebook
  • St. Patrick Catholic Church Lufkin, Tx
  • I am webmaster of the official church web site

    Powered by Blogger