Thursday, January 01, 2009

Lake Scenes...

Big bunch of pelicans and water turkeys rafted up. How many pounds of fish are getting ate up by these guys? The pelicans migrate in from the great lakes area each winter. Found on our lake mostly hanging out over deep or open water areas, probably 20-25 ft deep here they tend to herd up schools of shad. If a bunch of shad are getting cut up I bet there are some cats and stripers hanging out below. We did see one water turkey near our fishing spot trying to swallow a 10 inch bass.

Little closer view of the pelicans. I like them, big old birds with 8 foot wing spans. If I zoom this picture up real close with my photo soft ware it's pretty impressive.



The gulls like to sit on the water down wind of our boat. Creatures of opportunity, Danny King's catfish bait floats to the surface when it's off the hook. I bet he's got a belly full of it.
Some R.E.D. Neck Business here. I thought maybe they were picking up those old mussels exposed by low water for trot line bait, has worked good for me in winter. This was a quick snap, seems that green shirt waded out a little far and sank butt deep in the mud, shouted for help from the others, best I could do was get the camera, but the rescuers were too efficient for me to catch a right comical moment as we say in East Texas. As we left we were nosy and cruised close to the bank, they had two prong scratchers searching the low water edge for arrow heads. I have found an arrow head in this area myself, only one I ever found. The old river makes a big "s" curve, two creeks flow in and the banks were probably steep, I bet it was a scenic place a couple of hundred years ago. People still like it and hang around here. I bet fishing was good then as it still is now.
Posted by Picasa

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

"...I know I've seen that face before," Big Jim was thinking to himself "Maybe down in Mexico or a picture up on somebody's shelf..."Bob Dylan from "Lilly Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts
  • you thought I was after your job
  • Gogol Bordello
  • Cathy's favorite band. They named this blog.
  • Wallace Fun Photos
  • My online photos.
  • J Pigg Stink Bait
  • A good bait, the current favorite
  • Satch
  • WWOZ New Orleans Jazz Fest Radio
  • The Older You Will Get Video Channel
  • I Make all these myself.
  • Stone Wall Studio
  • First Place I Was Ever Mentioned on The Internet
  • Facebook
  • Lots of me on Facebook
  • St. Patrick Catholic Church Lufkin, Tx
  • I am webmaster of the official church web site

    Powered by Blogger