Sunday, February 01, 2009

More Boats...

Few more boat shots, but first I'll tell about the one that got away today and I could have got it if I had wrapped my head around my new fangled cell phone camera. It was an old outboard, looked like a 1954 Mercury hanging on the back of a flat bottom being pulled back from the direction of the lake today.

Any way, here's an older boat, LST 325, moored in the river at Evansville, they made these things here during WW 2. This one saw landings in North Africa, Sicily, and France.
This boat was sold to the Greek navy. Here's sample of some Greek graffiti they left behind. I can't think of any good reason why the Greeks needed a landing ship tank. I'd like to believe they carried olive oil, ouzo and squid from island to island in the Aegean Sea. Probably not, seems when a couple of piss ant countries start shooting at each other they have had a little help from some big piss ant countries to get the ball rolling. Anyway a bunch of old guys that served on this ship sailed it back to America when the Greeks were through with it. Quite an adventure.

Me and Grayson on board. LST stands for "long slow target" in Navy lingo.
Posted by Picasa

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

"...I know I've seen that face before," Big Jim was thinking to himself "Maybe down in Mexico or a picture up on somebody's shelf..."Bob Dylan from "Lilly Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts
  • you thought I was after your job
  • Gogol Bordello
  • Cathy's favorite band. They named this blog.
  • Wallace Fun Photos
  • My online photos.
  • J Pigg Stink Bait
  • A good bait, the current favorite
  • Satch
  • WWOZ New Orleans Jazz Fest Radio
  • The Older You Will Get Video Channel
  • I Make all these myself.
  • Stone Wall Studio
  • First Place I Was Ever Mentioned on The Internet
  • Facebook
  • Lots of me on Facebook
  • St. Patrick Catholic Church Lufkin, Tx
  • I am webmaster of the official church web site

    Powered by Blogger