Thursday, August 04, 2011

Somehow This Hot Weather Brings to Mind...

...a long forgotten end of summer party. Maybe it's some kind of urge for the hot weather to break, for rain, for easing the burdens of others because like at that party so long ago the weather has been fine for me.

I remember this party was sometime in the 1980s. It was hot with belly dancers thumping drums in the front yard, in back some one shot a hog to barbecue and a rock band played on a flat bed trailer. In front of the band dancers shuffled in the sandy dirt. Old hippies, new hippies and shade tree punks ground mother Earth with their old dry feet into a damp sweaty organic powder of a smoke that rose above their heads and hung in the air like a fog in a holler. Off to the side a crowd gathered at old round brick work of a well staring down into the depths.

In the well hung a TV, facing upward and it was not a big screen. In these ancient times no one ever thought TVs would be bigger than the door to their house so it was no trouble to find one that could simply hang in a small round country well. Constantly playing on the TV in the well for the amusement of your downcast gaze was the band on the flat bed trailers new video and song "Gomer Pyle is God." See the link:

All in all quite an evening. Sweaty, dirty and with unusual stuff to see. When the hot weather brought all this to mind I mentioned these events to my wife. She said she remembered the TV in the well and was also there, but we were not married and I don't think we knew each other. Now we are married and know each other pretty well. We still like summer, hot sweaty, dirty and occasionally unusual.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hell- I was there as well (get it). It was on Hwy. 21 and there were TVs all over the place as I recall.

10:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

"...I know I've seen that face before," Big Jim was thinking to himself "Maybe down in Mexico or a picture up on somebody's shelf..."Bob Dylan from "Lilly Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts
  • you thought I was after your job
  • Gogol Bordello
  • Cathy's favorite band. They named this blog.
  • Wallace Fun Photos
  • My online photos.
  • J Pigg Stink Bait
  • A good bait, the current favorite
  • Satch
  • WWOZ New Orleans Jazz Fest Radio
  • The Older You Will Get Video Channel
  • I Make all these myself.
  • Stone Wall Studio
  • First Place I Was Ever Mentioned on The Internet
  • Facebook
  • Lots of me on Facebook
  • St. Patrick Catholic Church Lufkin, Tx
  • I am webmaster of the official church web site

    Powered by Blogger