Wednesday, December 28, 2011

That Guy Has My Tuba and Other Things You Encounter Out of Town...

Never can resist a used record store and in the hip little neighborhood we recently stayed in in Chicago had one. It also had a Guitar Center Store which is kind of like the Wal-Mart of instrument shopping, nice stuff at all price points which if I had been buying, just like at Wal-Mart there would have been something there for me. In fact it was kind of frighteningly like the Guitar Center on 1960 in Houston which I recently visited and did not stock the item I wanted. At least in Chicago they were nice enough to let me browse around carrying two go boxes of Eduardo's pizza. The Guitar Center not the record store which is really what I started to write about. I did not get the guitars or the records greasy with pizza even though I have proved that a bucket of fried chicken eaten before each gig gives a maple Fender guitar neck a yellow shine that some mistakenly call "mojo." That same bucket of chicken also makes my belly shine out the untucked tails of my snap button western shirts making me understand more so the immortal words of Guitar Slim when it get in the the way of the "Things That I Used To Do."  

Anyway the record were at all price points from groove worn 99 cent trash to high dollar collectible to the  (bet you did not vinyl is big) $20-$30 new releases. Me and Cathy found a couple in between, her a reading by Danny Kay of Hans Christian Anderson (you know you need it) to this Fletcher Henderson the cover of which is scanned in on my too small scanner here with a band what am a band from 1923-1937.  I could not pass it up because it looks like the guy in your upper right has my tuba.  Could be, mine's a 1936 model. This record is marked "not perfect condition" but I have not found a skip yet. It's a double record. I think a good buy. You know you need it.   Posted by Picasa

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

"...I know I've seen that face before," Big Jim was thinking to himself "Maybe down in Mexico or a picture up on somebody's shelf..."Bob Dylan from "Lilly Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts
  • you thought I was after your job
  • Gogol Bordello
  • Cathy's favorite band. They named this blog.
  • Wallace Fun Photos
  • My online photos.
  • J Pigg Stink Bait
  • A good bait, the current favorite
  • Satch
  • WWOZ New Orleans Jazz Fest Radio
  • The Older You Will Get Video Channel
  • I Make all these myself.
  • Stone Wall Studio
  • First Place I Was Ever Mentioned on The Internet
  • Facebook
  • Lots of me on Facebook
  • St. Patrick Catholic Church Lufkin, Tx
  • I am webmaster of the official church web site

    Powered by Blogger