Saturday, November 03, 2012

More on LBJ...



Here lies LBJ. That's him and Lady Bird under the two biggest headstones in the Johnson family cemetery located off the road you drive in on to his Hill Country ranch outside Johnson City. Nice and shady under those old oaks. It was a cool day when we visited but the brightness of the sun outside the boundaries of the shade give a parched Texas hot look to the scene beyond the stone wall of eternal rest. 

One thing LBJ believed in was education and starting it early. I stood at the corner of the burial ground and made this photo. In the fore ground the low bushes mark the Perdernales  River. The Lutheran Church is the site of the first Head Start Program in the nation. It was established by laws LBJ passed while in the White House. 









Also on the ranch property is the school LBJ attended as a child. It was a poor school and LBJ was poor. As I have been tracing parts of his life, visiting places he walked it's easy to see why one would wish things to be better for those that will follow you. May be the same mistakes LBJ made can be avoided if we all are just a little smarter or have a bit more opportunity. Makes you wonder why some make it fight over how to educate our children.   Posted by Picasa

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

"...I know I've seen that face before," Big Jim was thinking to himself "Maybe down in Mexico or a picture up on somebody's shelf..."Bob Dylan from "Lilly Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts
  • you thought I was after your job
  • Gogol Bordello
  • Cathy's favorite band. They named this blog.
  • Wallace Fun Photos
  • My online photos.
  • J Pigg Stink Bait
  • A good bait, the current favorite
  • Satch
  • WWOZ New Orleans Jazz Fest Radio
  • The Older You Will Get Video Channel
  • I Make all these myself.
  • Stone Wall Studio
  • First Place I Was Ever Mentioned on The Internet
  • Facebook
  • Lots of me on Facebook
  • St. Patrick Catholic Church Lufkin, Tx
  • I am webmaster of the official church web site

    Powered by Blogger