Tuesday, April 02, 2013

Helmet Guitar...






Completed my first custom order home made instrument. My son in law Juan has a huge collection of military helmets. He gave me a 1980 vintage airborne kevlar pot and asked that I make a guitar. A few years ago Juan built a kit guitar for Cathy and he had some parts given him by Pop. I used a set of tenor banjo tuners from these parts. It's my first four string build. 








Not a bad cut considering kevlar and steel are a bit tougher to cut and shape that wood and cigar boxes. Each build I learn some things but some times you have to accept the imperfections and pretend they are folk are poetry. 







Don't know about you but I like the offset tuners. Had a couple of mis-drills but don't worry. If some one commissions me to make a guitar for money I will not make these boo-boos. The free guitars I am making for family help me hone my building skills.

I have a new design. It's a three piece. It's glued but needs to be shaped.  












Side view. 















Serial number. It's build #6. Possibily one of the best sounding guitars I have made. Might be because the 4th string makes a fuller chord or just the resonance of the hard materials. 

Here's how it sounds on a Easter tune I wrote:
"Rolled the Stone"  Posted by Picasa

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

"...I know I've seen that face before," Big Jim was thinking to himself "Maybe down in Mexico or a picture up on somebody's shelf..."Bob Dylan from "Lilly Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts
  • you thought I was after your job
  • Gogol Bordello
  • Cathy's favorite band. They named this blog.
  • Wallace Fun Photos
  • My online photos.
  • J Pigg Stink Bait
  • A good bait, the current favorite
  • Satch
  • WWOZ New Orleans Jazz Fest Radio
  • The Older You Will Get Video Channel
  • I Make all these myself.
  • Stone Wall Studio
  • First Place I Was Ever Mentioned on The Internet
  • Facebook
  • Lots of me on Facebook
  • St. Patrick Catholic Church Lufkin, Tx
  • I am webmaster of the official church web site

    Powered by Blogger