Friday, August 01, 2014

Now You Can Have Some Texas medicine...

In the song "Stuck Inside of Mobile With the Memphis Blues Again" the rainman gave Bob Dylan two cures. One was "Texas Medicine" and the other was railroad gin. Like a fool Bob mixed them and we know how that ended up. The 39th guitar I have built has a Texas thing going on and it won't strangle up your mind.  

This is from a tin I found in a downtown Lufkin Antique store. It's pretty light weight metal so it was hard to work it without a small dent or two. 

The back of this tin had a sticker on it that had been removed by a previous owner leaving a sticky spot. I tried a couple of things and settled on cutting a Texas license plate to fit. So far so good. My neighbor has not missed it. He will probably just think it fell off on the road somewhere.   

Small finish imperfections no worse than on my 1976 Strat. 
For those that are squinting a little closer at my reflection I do have on pants but no shirt and I think there are plenty of photos out of me with no shirt.  

I got the Texas stuff pretty well centered and I don't think they will be able to run the number.  

The neck was left from some project that was a failure. For some reason it was perfect for this tin. 

It's electric. As is pretty typical of the tin guitars the acoustic sound is old time banjo and pluged in it's a roaring dirty blues monster. 

People say all the time "I want one of those for my grandson." That tells me two things. One is that you love your family very much to give the gift of music. Two is that I play for mostly old people. We all got grandchildren. Even thought the dangerous rocking days may be gone there may be some sharp edges here so adults only and I can pretty much guarantee you won't hurt yourself any worse than I have hurt myself after all these years.  


It's got the BB fret markers on the neck. You play it with a slide. I have not played it much, just built this morning but generally if you sit around and play one of these real hard and good the tuning will settle in. The piezo pickup might not do well at rock band volumes but for open mic jug band Americana Memphis Blues Again creativity it's very gigable.

 It's for sale and I'll take $60. 

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

"...I know I've seen that face before," Big Jim was thinking to himself "Maybe down in Mexico or a picture up on somebody's shelf..."Bob Dylan from "Lilly Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts
  • you thought I was after your job
  • Gogol Bordello
  • Cathy's favorite band. They named this blog.
  • Wallace Fun Photos
  • My online photos.
  • J Pigg Stink Bait
  • A good bait, the current favorite
  • Satch
  • WWOZ New Orleans Jazz Fest Radio
  • The Older You Will Get Video Channel
  • I Make all these myself.
  • Stone Wall Studio
  • First Place I Was Ever Mentioned on The Internet
  • Facebook
  • Lots of me on Facebook
  • St. Patrick Catholic Church Lufkin, Tx
  • I am webmaster of the official church web site

    Powered by Blogger