Sunday, October 05, 2014

Fat Man and Little Boy...

Fat Man and Little Boy were the names given to the only two atomic bombs used in warfare. The USA dropped them on Japan in 1945.  It was Peter Tosh, the Jamaican Reggae singer who had a song Called "No More Nuclear War."  I can't dig war of any kind but I am dropping these two primitive guitars on you and the names seem to fit since the big one is made from an oreo cookie commemorative tin and the other is from an old Prince Albert Tobacco can. Either substance can blow you up in it's own way. 

The Prince Albert is a one string "diddley bow." The Oreo guitar is a three string. Both have good acoustic sounds. The Oreo stays in tune well but I have not tried to keep the Prince to any certain note. As I sing and play I just tune it to my voice on the fly. Non musicians I have played the one string for have been pretty impressed with what it can do. I haven't actually played it for another musician yet. They will probably say "Mudbelly quit fooling around and start rocking us some Eagles!"  

The year this tin issued was 1999. It has some wear marks from someone's big old cookie grabbers pulling it apart. 

An expert could date this can. Morgan found it in his out building at the house in Hearne, Tx. 

Both are electric. I have not given them a good run through with a tube amp other than to make sure the electrics worked quietly. I do have a new distorto pedal that I bet will make these scream. Maybe in the next couple of days I will try a youtube video.    

The one string is a laminated board, something someone gave me thinking I could make necks with it. It's ok for a one string and with the aged tin gives it a nice antique look. 


You can find these guitars and more on sale Oct 25th at the St. Paul's Methodist Church Fall Fest and Fish fry. Hours are 9am-3pm. I'll have a booth and be singing and playing all day. I don't have anything to do with the fish part of it but expect some deep discounts on one string guitars, some Christmas tin guitars and percussion stuff. I may try to make some non electric guitars that I will also discount. Nice cigar boxes will be full price.

In case you think I am joking about nuclear war:

  

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger HatfieldMcCoyResort said...

Dad made me one from a prince Albert can when I was a kid. Great memories. Thanks for the post

11:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

"...I know I've seen that face before," Big Jim was thinking to himself "Maybe down in Mexico or a picture up on somebody's shelf..."Bob Dylan from "Lilly Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts
  • you thought I was after your job
  • Gogol Bordello
  • Cathy's favorite band. They named this blog.
  • Wallace Fun Photos
  • My online photos.
  • J Pigg Stink Bait
  • A good bait, the current favorite
  • Satch
  • WWOZ New Orleans Jazz Fest Radio
  • The Older You Will Get Video Channel
  • I Make all these myself.
  • Stone Wall Studio
  • First Place I Was Ever Mentioned on The Internet
  • Facebook
  • Lots of me on Facebook
  • St. Patrick Catholic Church Lufkin, Tx
  • I am webmaster of the official church web site

    Powered by Blogger