Sunday, October 26, 2014

Saturday Cigar Box Fun...

Took a booth at St. Paul's Methodist Church Fall Festival on Saturday and had a good day playing and selling cigar box guitars. It's my cousin Dixie's church and she invited me to purchase a booth for this event.  I do have a long connection going back to St. Paul's. I had friends that went there and I remember going to dances with live bands. In fact I remember one dance where the band had white and black people in it. That was bound to have been around 1972 so even though members have aged it's a pleasant place and was very open to the noise I made all day in the booth. 

The final total for sales was two one stringers, a three stringer and an amp. Bill Cooney, my celebrity sponsor and endorser  came along and backed me up on tenor guitar and tenor banjo. Here's a photo of Bill and I tried my best to make it look like a George Harrison album cover.
My mom has a lots of friends at this church. She is really an old Methodist but has been mixed up with the Baptist so long she continues on there. She played a little percussion and made sure my act was consumable for the venue, in other words not too many songs about New Orleans. 
Cathy is in the background. She put out some of the baby blankets she makes for sale but no luck on these. 
Here's a happy buyer but his wife is not too sure. He told me he tried to learn guitar at age 80 but gave it up. I like that. If you don't succeed, scale back and do less. I think it was Ken Kesey who said something like I promise a lot to be able to deliver what I can. If you playing more than one string you just showing off. I sold another one stringer and the booth had only been open 5 minutes and did not get that ladies photo. She bought the prince Albert can diddly bow.
Here is a girl that is going to make her boy friend very happy this Christmas. She bought a cigar box guitar and amp. Sounds like he might be a good player because she wanted to hear the guitar through the different amps. She said "I know some sound better with certain guitars." You can see what she picked. 

A good fun day. met some other interesting people but might save their story for later. There is a video of me and Bill playing on facebook. Thanks to all the shoppers and the church we had a fine time. 


  

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

"...I know I've seen that face before," Big Jim was thinking to himself "Maybe down in Mexico or a picture up on somebody's shelf..."Bob Dylan from "Lilly Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts
  • you thought I was after your job
  • Gogol Bordello
  • Cathy's favorite band. They named this blog.
  • Wallace Fun Photos
  • My online photos.
  • J Pigg Stink Bait
  • A good bait, the current favorite
  • Satch
  • WWOZ New Orleans Jazz Fest Radio
  • The Older You Will Get Video Channel
  • I Make all these myself.
  • Stone Wall Studio
  • First Place I Was Ever Mentioned on The Internet
  • Facebook
  • Lots of me on Facebook
  • St. Patrick Catholic Church Lufkin, Tx
  • I am webmaster of the official church web site

    Powered by Blogger