Sunday, December 06, 2020

Drum and Tuba Christmas at The Village Nac...

It is thanks to an invitation by the Village Nac to play their Christmas party that the 2020 version of Drum and Tuba Christmas got to roll this year. It was a nice evening with hot chocolate, a bonfire, smores and deserts and several local acts providing entertainment. 

The Village Nac is a non profit that has just got started this year and despite the challenges that face everyone in these times on my recent visits I have noticed growth and improvements that signal good things happening. Their purpose as posted on their website: 

The Village Nac is a faith based community in east Texas where people who have chronic mental health issues or chronic homelessness can find housing, help, hope, and healing.

The first band of the evening was the Campaneros. This duo is part of a larger group that performs locally and has a Latin based sound. I believe I have their names correct, Alex on pan pipes, flutes and percussion is from El Salvador and Johnny on guitar is from Argentina. 



Though not scheduled for the evening the Campaneros were generous with their time and invited a friend, Natasha to perform two songs. I believe I understood her to be a newcomer to the area and if you get a chance to catch her act playing locally you will not be disappointed. 


Honey Blond performed a variety of  Christmas pop hits. 


Drum and Tuba Christmas was the closing act for the evening. Mary, the usual drummer since this act began in 2012 had to work so this year's version include Morgan on drums and Casey Williams on congas. That's me on tuba for those not in the know. 


Casey was the event coordinator and had invited us to play. I had jammed on tuba with Casey before so it was only natural that he become a part of the group. Casey is the force behind Star Avenue Co. One of the ideas behind this nonprofit organization is that "creativity breaks down barriers." I believe that. The Star Avenue Co. Mission Statement:

Our mission is to provide the opportunity to build positive relationships among the citizens of each and every community by using creative expression like art, music, and other avenues to make productive lines of communication!

Casey on congas and Santa Suit. 


Morgan on drums. Welcome to Drum and Tuba Christmas son. 


If you need a Santa this Christmas, who you gonna call? 


You may have heard that "good things happen to good people." That might seem like a trite statement in a year like 2020 when good people have suffered losses and set backs but there are places where good things are happening. Drum and Tuba Christmas was privileged enough to be in one of those places last night. Thanks for having us.    

 

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

"...I know I've seen that face before," Big Jim was thinking to himself "Maybe down in Mexico or a picture up on somebody's shelf..."Bob Dylan from "Lilly Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts
  • you thought I was after your job
  • Gogol Bordello
  • Cathy's favorite band. They named this blog.
  • Wallace Fun Photos
  • My online photos.
  • J Pigg Stink Bait
  • A good bait, the current favorite
  • Satch
  • WWOZ New Orleans Jazz Fest Radio
  • The Older You Will Get Video Channel
  • I Make all these myself.
  • Stone Wall Studio
  • First Place I Was Ever Mentioned on The Internet
  • Facebook
  • Lots of me on Facebook
  • St. Patrick Catholic Church Lufkin, Tx
  • I am webmaster of the official church web site

    Powered by Blogger