Tuesday, January 19, 2021

I Like Warm Weather...

 I don't like the weather to be cold and it snowed here last week and then stuck to the ground for several days. That does not happen very often in these parts and actually the ice sheets on the roof, which brought to mind the fact that wooly mammoths froze with green salad still in their mouths, slid to the ground in my flower beds and stayed frozen in the shade for almost a week. In those flower beds I had a wandering Jew house plant (a name invented by someone else) that took root in the fertile soil. In our usually warm clime and the 40 days and nights that pass for winter here it sleeps undisturbed in piles of thick homemade mulch until warm weather comes and it's time to wander to other beds and pots. I look forward to such wandering action myself. 



 I had put some thought into cold weather this year. Not the thought that true northerners put into winter like how they are going to push snow piles out of the way to get the door open or the car out of the drive way or who they are going to call if the roof collapses from the weight of snow and ice. I just bought a thrift store set of insulated bib overalls. I had brief dreams of catfishing over deep holes stacked with large blue cat so warm on the bottom of the lake that they are as comfortable as U.S. Tico on BenJammin's porch down south in Costa Rica. I might have worn those coveralls once. I certainly did not need them on the short trek back and forth from the firewood pile last week. 



My preferred dress, given the coming of spring and summer is no shirt and no shoes. A headband, do rag or a hat is handy to mop sweat and give assist to thinning hair that does not give enough sun protection to a delicate scalp. Service won't be necessary. In fact in the early days of writing this blog and posting photos of my self online people often asked if I ever wore a shirt. These days I am kind of like that once handsome friend who often got away with murder until he aged and was not so handsome and started getting punched in the nose quite regularly. I might punch myself in the nose if I saw a picture of me online without a shirt but then there is that threshold you cross where you just don't care and when it's warm summertime I don't care. 



One time when I did care I put some thought into what I was going to wear one summer. There were some pastel checked cotton shorts in a light color that all the other guys were wearing and they looked like they might be comfortable and stylish for summer. When one of my kids saw me wearing those shorts she said "That light color is not going to work for you because you get so sweaty and dirty." 

Now this had not really occurred to me because sweaty and dirty is my optimal operating mode. I really don't think I ever got those shorts dirty because one day as I performed the bending, scooting twisting, crab walk side step that is necessary for a large man to seat himself in a small car the backside of those pastel checked cotton shorts were torn asunder like the temple veil signifying that my body would never inhabit such the sanctuary of such a garment again. 

Now I give my thoughts to the coming warm summer, short shorts and swimming. I know there will still be cold days before then but I have firewood and I will use it. I might even try those blue cats. 



 

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

"...I know I've seen that face before," Big Jim was thinking to himself "Maybe down in Mexico or a picture up on somebody's shelf..."Bob Dylan from "Lilly Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts
  • you thought I was after your job
  • Gogol Bordello
  • Cathy's favorite band. They named this blog.
  • Wallace Fun Photos
  • My online photos.
  • J Pigg Stink Bait
  • A good bait, the current favorite
  • Satch
  • WWOZ New Orleans Jazz Fest Radio
  • The Older You Will Get Video Channel
  • I Make all these myself.
  • Stone Wall Studio
  • First Place I Was Ever Mentioned on The Internet
  • Facebook
  • Lots of me on Facebook
  • St. Patrick Catholic Church Lufkin, Tx
  • I am webmaster of the official church web site

    Powered by Blogger