Thursday, February 04, 2021

Two For One Blog Fishing Report...

I'm trying to keep up with the fishing reports. I'm tired of winter despite the fact that 60% of the USA, enough to win a presidential election gets snow. We have been as busy as an executive order fishing this week. 

I made a canoe trip up old Popher's Creek. That's the FM 2109 bridge. You remember old Chief Popher. I think about him every time I visit this area. His son killed a white man and fled. When the posse came the old Chief offered his life instead and one indigenous person was as good as another. They hung Chief Popher on the banks of this creek.  


Canoe trips are usually something I do alone or with my son Morgan. Cathy does not like to paddle. She will go in the canoe if I paddle and set her up with a cork fishing rig with a worm on a hook. We have caught a decent mess of panfish and bass out of this creek but I only managed one small bass today. I think it needs just a bit of water. 


Nutria rat swims upstream. If he saw me he paid me no mind. Looks like a small bear swimming. See my blog post from last week on rodents of unusual size


I don't think this white tailed deer has seen a man in a canoe before. She was real curious. With the road nearby you could hear road noises till the first bend was rounded but then it was all deer, birds, pine trees and woodpecker knocks. 


Our second trip this week was to River Ridge on the Sabine. You can see Cathy fishing from the clean white sand beaches. This is a private campground, boat ramp and guide service but a $10 day camper fee will let you fish from the bank and we have never been crowded fishing here. Apparently they own their own small dragline and it looks like a full time operation to keep the ramp from sanding in by the river currents.   

Total for the day was only 4 white bass but that's enough for supper. White bass is a course meat compared to catfish or crappie and for my taste it's best in blackened or broiled dishes. Fun to catch but I don't need a freezer full of these things. It's at the beginning of their spring run and we will probably check them out again. I do hear of fishing reports that indicate a good bite on white bass up the Angelina River from Lake Sam Rayburn.  

 

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

"...I know I've seen that face before," Big Jim was thinking to himself "Maybe down in Mexico or a picture up on somebody's shelf..."Bob Dylan from "Lilly Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts
  • you thought I was after your job
  • Gogol Bordello
  • Cathy's favorite band. They named this blog.
  • Wallace Fun Photos
  • My online photos.
  • J Pigg Stink Bait
  • A good bait, the current favorite
  • Satch
  • WWOZ New Orleans Jazz Fest Radio
  • The Older You Will Get Video Channel
  • I Make all these myself.
  • Stone Wall Studio
  • First Place I Was Ever Mentioned on The Internet
  • Facebook
  • Lots of me on Facebook
  • St. Patrick Catholic Church Lufkin, Tx
  • I am webmaster of the official church web site

    Powered by Blogger