Monday, July 26, 2021

My Rules for Buying Thrift Store Records...

 I saw a quote. It's from an unknown author. It says "If you observe the rules of life you will overlook most of it's opportunities." 

 There are some rules like always wearing clean underwear, trust me on that one, being nice to waiters and waitresses and wearing a mask if asked that just generally make things smoother and safer for all involved. You probably have some of your own rules and clean underwear. One of my personal rules that I adhere to is that while shopping thrift or used record stores I never Google a title I am thinking about buying.

I first picked up an instrument in 1969. I  probably bought some records before that and was certainty interested in music. Since then I have had classes, lessons, played concerts in all kind of bands, made instruments, played all kind of instruments, been involved in some musical moments that should be forgotten and of course bought lots of music for listening. 

When I pick up a record I use something from all these experiences as I examine the cover, who was involved with playing, writing, producing and so on of the music and of course just a gut feel. All that brought me to this record. 

It's release from 1988 by the Austrian band Edelweiss called "Bring me my Edelweiss." Of course once I get the record home I Google and see if my hunch has been good. It was with this one.

Reportedly this band read a book by the English band the Timelords called " The Manual, How to Have a Hit the Easy Way," which recommend stealing bits from other people's tunes. 

By heavily sampling the Swedish pop group ABBA, rapping, turntable scratching and lots of yodeling this record sold five million copies. I don't own any ABBA records which have probably sold millions but I own Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, Dark Side of the Moon, some Doors albums sales of which provide surviving members with a a comfortable supplement and of course releases by Elvis and Jimi who continue to make money they can't spend.  

Looks like Edelweiss released about 9 singles and one album between 1988 and 2001. That's good work if you can get it and best I can tell most of the group continued to work in music and film. I would think if you sell five million it allows you to make some of your own rules and the opportunity of finding a record like this is an opportunity for fun.  

I love this video.

    


   

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

"...I know I've seen that face before," Big Jim was thinking to himself "Maybe down in Mexico or a picture up on somebody's shelf..."Bob Dylan from "Lilly Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts
  • you thought I was after your job
  • Gogol Bordello
  • Cathy's favorite band. They named this blog.
  • Wallace Fun Photos
  • My online photos.
  • J Pigg Stink Bait
  • A good bait, the current favorite
  • Satch
  • WWOZ New Orleans Jazz Fest Radio
  • The Older You Will Get Video Channel
  • I Make all these myself.
  • Stone Wall Studio
  • First Place I Was Ever Mentioned on The Internet
  • Facebook
  • Lots of me on Facebook
  • St. Patrick Catholic Church Lufkin, Tx
  • I am webmaster of the official church web site

    Powered by Blogger