Wednesday, June 30, 2021

Have You Heard Loose Lips Sink Ships, or Have I Seen Those Lips Before...

We had friends over for a nice evening of fried catfish and conversation. In fact we talked so much we never even got around to discussing our shared grandchildren but some of the topics we covered were fishing, travel and facial recognition software and how good it has become. 

On the porch not far from where we sat was my old red wagon. Actually it's one of those new red wagons, pretty stout frame and canvas sides that serves me as a tool carrier, a grandchild transport for donkey walks and when I'm bank fishing it's a gear hauler. 

In the course of telling fishing stories I remarked to our friends how when we were launching the boat that day several people were on the shore unable to use the walkway to the old marina because of high water. It's a popular fishing spot and I related how "they loaded a wagon like that," on an aluminum boat and with a rope that was tied to the bank and the marina hand pulled themselves river ferry crossing style out to unload the wagon with fishing gear on the marina walkways. 

I did not have my phone in my pocket when I told this story. It was about 15' from me on a table all evening. I don't have one of those "Hey Google" things. Since I have a wagon there is no need to shop wagons on the world wide web. Today my ad feed for the internet is full of "shop wagons like this" ads apparently because I said "a wagon like that." 

I have not checked on my friends today. The information they provided about the facial recognition software part of the discussion was second hand from a good source. 

If I tell you I liked this house boat I photographed on the lake will I be under consumer pressure to shop similar craft?         


And while we are on these seeming coincidences here's my third great uncle Charlie Ledbetter, a ferry man on the Tennessee River. Seems that one evening in 1906 a man by the name of R.H. Ward had been drinking and caught a ride across the river to visit Charlie. This seems to have been a custom on his drinking days. Later his body was found about 10 miles down river. Charlie was arrested, tried and acquitted. Probably good thing there was no facial recognition software in those days. 

I believe that's Charlie with the dog. 













 

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

"...I know I've seen that face before," Big Jim was thinking to himself "Maybe down in Mexico or a picture up on somebody's shelf..."Bob Dylan from "Lilly Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts
  • you thought I was after your job
  • Gogol Bordello
  • Cathy's favorite band. They named this blog.
  • Wallace Fun Photos
  • My online photos.
  • J Pigg Stink Bait
  • A good bait, the current favorite
  • Satch
  • WWOZ New Orleans Jazz Fest Radio
  • The Older You Will Get Video Channel
  • I Make all these myself.
  • Stone Wall Studio
  • First Place I Was Ever Mentioned on The Internet
  • Facebook
  • Lots of me on Facebook
  • St. Patrick Catholic Church Lufkin, Tx
  • I am webmaster of the official church web site

    Powered by Blogger