Sunday, October 17, 2021

Brave Combo at Octoberfest...

 Cross another thing off the retired man bucket list. Every year for some time now the Pineywoods Fine Arts Association in Crockett Texas has hosted an Octoberfest and the Grammy award winning polka/rock/worldbeat Brave Combo from Denton, Tx has played. I have never been as I was always working, had a gig of my own, the fish were biting or some other such distraction. We went this year as did our friends John, Janet, Ross and Beverly.    

I have seen Brave Combo. They have been on the Texas music scene for close to 40 years. You might say to self "I'm not a polka fan" but it's the great American song book from polka to Dike Ellington to blues, the twist, cumbia, the chicken dance, a conga line and the hokey poky. As they say, "this will be your last chance to dance the chicken dance, this set." Be sure to bring the kids. You can't do that at every concert. I mean I have but you might not or I might not should have. 


What most folks don't realize is that Octoberfest is not really much in October. I mean I'm glad around here it goes on all month because I am busy selling this band I'm in that plays polkas and it gives more opportunity for gigs but the real Munich, Germany Octoberfest takes place from mid September to the first Sunday in October.  

October Fest began around since 1810 and soon became important in promoting Bavarian culture. It's estimated that about 7.7 million liters of beer is consumed at Octoberfest. For USA readers a liter is 33.184 ounces or not as much as I had with my morning 40 to get the day started.  



They had some German beers available at this fest and I'm pretty sure that the people sitting at the table beside us all went off and swam in the river after the show. 

Just to give you an idea the band did a great rendition of Santo and Johnny's "Sleep Walk."  

Be sure to check out Brave Combo. It is after all, still October. 





Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

"...I know I've seen that face before," Big Jim was thinking to himself "Maybe down in Mexico or a picture up on somebody's shelf..."Bob Dylan from "Lilly Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts
  • you thought I was after your job
  • Gogol Bordello
  • Cathy's favorite band. They named this blog.
  • Wallace Fun Photos
  • My online photos.
  • J Pigg Stink Bait
  • A good bait, the current favorite
  • Satch
  • WWOZ New Orleans Jazz Fest Radio
  • The Older You Will Get Video Channel
  • I Make all these myself.
  • Stone Wall Studio
  • First Place I Was Ever Mentioned on The Internet
  • Facebook
  • Lots of me on Facebook
  • St. Patrick Catholic Church Lufkin, Tx
  • I am webmaster of the official church web site

    Powered by Blogger