Wednesday, March 23, 2022

Soundmen and Mixers Make Us Sound Loud...

"Soundmen and mixers make us sound loud, two girls dancing make us a crowd, sometimes we make money, sometimes we don't know..." is a line from a song by famous Tulsa songwriter J.J. Cale. I almost said old song but then some would say "mudbelly, you listening to that music from back in 2005 again?" and it might not be the best song example but we have a new soundboard at church and I'm scheduled to spend time this evening learning to work it.  
The old sound board was a big analog made in Mississippi Peavey and I'm gonna miss it even though there were those times that I spent an hour before Mass doing a sound check and then as the entrance song began little green gremlins began dancing on speaker main cables with poop stained feet and making unusual gain adjustments with little stinking hands and the whole system resounded in noises noises that could have brought down the walls of Jericho but instead caused the congregation to suspect that the operator was a total idiot. Fortunately the gremlins were excised or we just learned to get along. Hopefully I won't miss the analog layout as this new made in China board, while it has a good reputation contains a lot of multi function buttons where you have several actions for each fader depending on the button pushed.  

If you don't know about Catholic Liturgy it's a bit different from the praise band set up you might encounter at other churches. Songs you play have to go with the Readings for the day. Just because they liked "Yellow Rose of Texas" last time you played it does not make it acceptable and "Amazing Grace" is not Liturgical but nobody will gripe if it's played as a Recessional at a funeral. Without these big productions you are pretty much left with organ, piano, and acoustic (which came to wide use in the 60s when Latin was out and English was in because they were the easiest way to get the singing going) guitars. Most of the time when doing sound I run two or three mics for speakers and overhead choir micing. The old board and the new board for that matter are much overkill for this situation but it is time for some upgrades.   

Maybe I'll be up to speed by Friday as we play for a funeral Mass that day. I can recall years ago getting up to speed on the old board when there was a funeral and Cathy was unable to be there. I played guitar accompanying singers. I mean I play guitar but at church I play bass so am a bit unfamiliar with the guitar parts as I never play them. I used my hollow body electric because I felt comfortable on that instrument and went straight through the board. It was a small family gathering of people I did not know and afterwards I realized I only had the guitar through the monitors. I though, "bet that sounded great" but years later I met the family and without knowing it was me playing guitar that day they remarked how good the music had been for their loved one's funeral. Things have a way of working out.     


The other thing new at church is a camera to livestream on YouTube the Masses. During Covid things had been live on Facebook but it was just one view and this makes it able to follow the Mass as if present. I have been tutored on this and am the administrator of the youtube channel but I have yet to operate the broadcast. Here's a stream from the St. Patrick's Celebration Mass. Our choir is playing the music (overheard choir mics) and we are still using the old sound board. I was happy with the choir mix but there could be some adjustment to the speakers on individual mics if they begin to sing along with the group for balance. Maybe the new board will address this. Surly it's made for livestreaming which had not been invented when the old board was made. 
 

About that "sometimes we make money, sometimes we don't know..." line in the J.J. Cale song if you hit subscribe on this channel we might one day make another revenue stream for the church. 

I can make money if you read this blog and venmo me. 







 

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

"...I know I've seen that face before," Big Jim was thinking to himself "Maybe down in Mexico or a picture up on somebody's shelf..."Bob Dylan from "Lilly Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts
  • you thought I was after your job
  • Gogol Bordello
  • Cathy's favorite band. They named this blog.
  • Wallace Fun Photos
  • My online photos.
  • J Pigg Stink Bait
  • A good bait, the current favorite
  • Satch
  • WWOZ New Orleans Jazz Fest Radio
  • The Older You Will Get Video Channel
  • I Make all these myself.
  • Stone Wall Studio
  • First Place I Was Ever Mentioned on The Internet
  • Facebook
  • Lots of me on Facebook
  • St. Patrick Catholic Church Lufkin, Tx
  • I am webmaster of the official church web site

    Powered by Blogger