Tuesday, February 28, 2023

Spring Slip Corking for Catfish...

This day in February is a wildcard day to be on the lake. Looking back on the fishing log a photo from 2013 shows us in coveralls for a frigid day on the lake. Yesterday I wore shorts, in the sun with no breeze was very warm, the water temp was 64 degrees and a west Texas dust storm blew in to make everything hazy as we looked down Lake Sam Rayburn past a tree full of water turkeys into the distance.  

The first spot we hit for shallow water slip corking, a spot that has been hot the past two springs produced no fish so we shifted across over to the opposite bank where the wind was into the bushes a bit better and found some fish at what we call the Thunderstorm Spot. We call it that because once when caught on the lake in a sudden blow we took shelter under an overhanding tree there and caught 50 catfish while waiting the weather out. 

Cathy swings one in the boat. They were good fat channels with some full of eggs ready to spawn. 


Here's a photo of me with a fish. I'm mounting an internet campaign to dispel the wide belief that Cathy catches all the fish. Somewhere there's some fake news going on but you need to use critical thinking skills and internet research to decide for yourself.  


There is still a pretty good flock of the white pelicans hanging around that have not made there way back to the north. I think their home grounds had snow this week. There are also quite a few loons to be watched diving for their dinner. 


I see some guys making a fishing report always tell about the gear. I used a 90s vintage Zebco 404 and a Rhino Rod. The bigger ones made the drag scream.  


We ended up fishing from 2pm to 5pm. Final count was 13 fat channel cats. We saved a couple for our dinner tonight but had the Zamoras over to eat the other 11, which sometimes it takes 20 catfish of average size to feed this clan so that gives you an idea of how nice these fish were.    


I imagine the slip cork bit will be solid at least till the end of April and maybe longer. We have a campsite at Hanks for spring break so expect us to bear down then.   

 

Labels: , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

"...I know I've seen that face before," Big Jim was thinking to himself "Maybe down in Mexico or a picture up on somebody's shelf..."Bob Dylan from "Lilly Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts
  • you thought I was after your job
  • Gogol Bordello
  • Cathy's favorite band. They named this blog.
  • Wallace Fun Photos
  • My online photos.
  • J Pigg Stink Bait
  • A good bait, the current favorite
  • Satch
  • WWOZ New Orleans Jazz Fest Radio
  • The Older You Will Get Video Channel
  • I Make all these myself.
  • Stone Wall Studio
  • First Place I Was Ever Mentioned on The Internet
  • Facebook
  • Lots of me on Facebook
  • St. Patrick Catholic Church Lufkin, Tx
  • I am webmaster of the official church web site

    Powered by Blogger