Monday, February 20, 2023

The Glenn Miller Orchestra at the Pines Theater...



Yesterday the Angelina Arts Alliance offered another fine show with two performances by the Glenn Miller Orchestra. Glenn was not with the group. During WW2 when he was enlisted with the Army Air Corps the flight transporting him across the Channel from England to France for a series of performances meant to raise wartime morale disappeared with all hands never to be found. This group did great service to the music with wonderful performances of the many hits the Orchestra had during it's short heyday from 1939-1944.  

Miller had more top 10 hits than the The Beatles and Elvis in his short span as a band leader. There were some critics who declared the music too commercial, too many novelty tunes and too rehearsed but it was much loved, I like it and it is so familiar it invokes sentimental and emotional reactions in those who hear it. Isn't that what music is supposed to do?     



There were good solo section work outs as is common with big band music, plenty of individual solos and good singing. With baseball season and warm weather approaching one of our favorite things is to sit on the porch, Cathy tracks the Astros on the MLB app on her phone and I play old swing records with music like this. Just seems to go together. 


Many of Miller's arrangers went on to work with other great groups and singers so there was a general covering of the great American songbook. 


If you are browsing thrift and antique stores I recommend keeping an eye out for the Readers Digest Box sets of swing music. For $5 or $10 you get a 5 or 10 record set of good music. 

If you get a chance catch this group. Great musicians and I bet there's health insurance, 401Ks and vacation time. It's a first rate show. 

I think they may have had the original charts used in the clip.




 

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

"...I know I've seen that face before," Big Jim was thinking to himself "Maybe down in Mexico or a picture up on somebody's shelf..."Bob Dylan from "Lilly Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts
  • you thought I was after your job
  • Gogol Bordello
  • Cathy's favorite band. They named this blog.
  • Wallace Fun Photos
  • My online photos.
  • J Pigg Stink Bait
  • A good bait, the current favorite
  • Satch
  • WWOZ New Orleans Jazz Fest Radio
  • The Older You Will Get Video Channel
  • I Make all these myself.
  • Stone Wall Studio
  • First Place I Was Ever Mentioned on The Internet
  • Facebook
  • Lots of me on Facebook
  • St. Patrick Catholic Church Lufkin, Tx
  • I am webmaster of the official church web site

    Powered by Blogger