Sunday, January 29, 2023

So Much Music So Little Time...

  They say the first music was notated on paper 3000 years ago. Before that and I mean a really long time before that somebody whistled, clacked a couple of sticks together, picked up a turtle shell and thumped on it or who knows what and liked the sound they heard. They then strung a series of these sounds together and had a riff. You and I have done the same thing. 

There are so many riffs and these riffs turn into songs and there are so many of them that you just can't listen to them all. I often wondered if one of my grandkids might ask me, Pop-Pop, you were in your teen age prime in the mid 70s did you get in on the punk rock scene that developed about that time?" I'd have to say no because I was doing entirely different musical things at that time and there was no internet so I could find out what was going on somewhere else. Later I did get to appreciate punk music. 

It was about the same way with disco. I did not listen to it at the time it was the rage but later I find some tunes catchy.  There's lots of music like that. It just passed me on by because I was doing something else.

Some one told me the other day, "you have seen so much good music." Tom Verlaine of the band Television passed away. I never got into that band but probably could have. I did see them on some kind of reunion performance at Riot Fest in Chicago in 2015 and got a good photo of Verlaine and a guitar he was famous for. I think I took that photo because I had just hacked up some old Harmony guitar and put lipstick style pickups in it myself and I saw that's what he had. 


Listen as much as you can. Some will pass you by but hold tight to what you find. 


      

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

"...I know I've seen that face before," Big Jim was thinking to himself "Maybe down in Mexico or a picture up on somebody's shelf..."Bob Dylan from "Lilly Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts
  • you thought I was after your job
  • Gogol Bordello
  • Cathy's favorite band. They named this blog.
  • Wallace Fun Photos
  • My online photos.
  • J Pigg Stink Bait
  • A good bait, the current favorite
  • Satch
  • WWOZ New Orleans Jazz Fest Radio
  • The Older You Will Get Video Channel
  • I Make all these myself.
  • Stone Wall Studio
  • First Place I Was Ever Mentioned on The Internet
  • Facebook
  • Lots of me on Facebook
  • St. Patrick Catholic Church Lufkin, Tx
  • I am webmaster of the official church web site

    Powered by Blogger