Monday, July 31, 2023

Slow Summer Fishing...

As hot as it's been and with projections for hotter in future forecasts the grandkids and maybe even great grandkids long after I'm gone will look at this photo and say, "I can't believe grandma (or great grandma) went to the lake in shorts." If there is still a lake as they will be all bundled up to protect from the burning sun. Some places in the world they are all bundled up in protection already and I figure fishing there is about as slow as we have found it the past couple of days if not completely ruined. 
Two days fishing has yielded 7 catfish. In the spirit of accurate reporting it's very freeing to say that I caught none of them. I made myself useful by cooking and cleaning the catch so I guess Cathy and her brother Matt will have me out again soon.  


I have heard some good fishing reports lately and as I often say the fish are always biting somewhere. If you don't find them in one place move up or down the river a few miles which we tried by moving to some tried and true summer spots we have not visited for several years in the Amber Forest area. A little better but even the birds like the lesser tern in this photo did not seemed to be fishing too hard.   


Matt demonstrates the hold your nose so that brain eating amoeba (common in hot stagnant water) is not forced through the sinus passages into the cranial cavity where it can take hold and do what it's famous for. We launched at Monterrey Park and picked Matt up at his lakefront property just southwest of the 147 bridge. That was a bit confusing for one of the dogs. Boat pulls up and the man gets on it and leaves. Had not seen that before. 

As I have noted here one of our favorite spots out of Hanks Creek boat ramp seems to be under some fishing pressure from other anglers as seen by decreased catches and evidence that others are baiting the spot. On our Saturday trip there was a boat bumper buoy anchored at the dropoff near our Dogwalker spot which we usually find productive hot summer into the winter months. It looked like a boat tie-up rig.  There are many crappie guide boats working the lake and at least one catfish guide and probably others so looks like someone is working my spot over. Time to find a new one.      


One of my favorite places to look at food pictures on the internet is Pee Wee's Crabcakes. Those photos often have fried catfish on red beans and rice and I have been hungry for that so I plated it. Sorry it's not on my usual china which many comment on but just a paper plate. It was still good. 

I have not tried this restaurant but just like the next hot catfish hole someday I will.  

 

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

"...I know I've seen that face before," Big Jim was thinking to himself "Maybe down in Mexico or a picture up on somebody's shelf..."Bob Dylan from "Lilly Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts
  • you thought I was after your job
  • Gogol Bordello
  • Cathy's favorite band. They named this blog.
  • Wallace Fun Photos
  • My online photos.
  • J Pigg Stink Bait
  • A good bait, the current favorite
  • Satch
  • WWOZ New Orleans Jazz Fest Radio
  • The Older You Will Get Video Channel
  • I Make all these myself.
  • Stone Wall Studio
  • First Place I Was Ever Mentioned on The Internet
  • Facebook
  • Lots of me on Facebook
  • St. Patrick Catholic Church Lufkin, Tx
  • I am webmaster of the official church web site

    Powered by Blogger