Sunday, September 10, 2023

Leavings...

Once I had a coworker, I won't call him my boss exactly but he was of a superior rank to me. Sometimes he would say, "hey, I don't have time for this today, do you want to do it?" I don't know how he was paid but I was paid by the hour and to do what he wanted me to do equaled the purchase of about three cheap Chinese made fuzz pedals that I could put to good use with an electric guitar when I was being my other other self which was sound architect. Castles made out of sound are kind of like castles made of sand in that the don't last, they don't sell but I often told people that I made a good living off my coworker's leavings.

I don't work anymore but for some years now I have refurbished my whole wardrobe from other people's leavings by shopping at thrift stores. I might own a few brand new dress shirts and a couple of suits that I bought brand new because it's kind of hard to lay a hand on a large sized suit quickly at a thrift store or a dress shit to go with it that has a 22" neck. Maybe guys that size don't wear suits and ties but sometimes in my job as sound architect I have to look the part. 

This week at the thrift store I picked up this walking stick from Boquillas Mexico. Nowadays, especially since 9/11 when Boquillas was closed for a period they have made it a port of entry. There is a ferry, you need a passport and are only permitted to bring back one bottle of liquor. The day I crossed me and the wife and kids all got in a flat bottom boat along with a couple of other guys who had a G.I. can full of iced Shaefer beer (which was always one of my favorites) and another man waded the Rio Grande towing us and the beer to Old Mexico. I rented donkeys for the kids to ride and we made a walk around Boquillas. I think they have made it illegal for you to take your kids to a drag show these days. They should probably make it illegal for you to take your kids to Boquilllas. There is video tape of this trip and it's at the converter changing to digital media courtesy of my children as I write this. We should have some more info on this trip soon. 

Chances are I won't be back to Boquillas anytime soon. The day I purchased this stick my knee was hurting pretty bad due to the fact I had picked up a bunch of sound architect equipment and turned the wrong way and it seemed like it might be time for such as this. The knee did start to get better so for now I have a good fire poker which it looks like this has been used as.  

         

In addition to 22' neck shirts I don't often find a pair of shoes in good condition that fit a big man but I scored these. I had some like it when I was a kid and we called it a Wellington Boot. Actually a Wellington Boot is some kind of rubber boot which I'll probably need a pair of also for winter outdoor activity. These are Justin Standard Ropers, a $115 boot. Could be re-heeled but very good condition and brings my boot total to five pair not counting a pair of chest waders, hip waders and rubber boots all available for various levels of you know what I encounter. 


By the way you know how these tourist treasures like the walking stick are made don't you? Some guy rents a shack, puts on the novellas all day and women sit and paint various ethnic items. I would imagine it's actually a job with advancement possibility because sooner or later an actually artist comes along, the worker has developed finer skills to better interpret the artistic vision and they make a pretty good living off that guy or gal's leavings.    


The good stuff like that may not make the thrift store but the things I found this week are good enough. I;; take those leavings.  




 

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

"...I know I've seen that face before," Big Jim was thinking to himself "Maybe down in Mexico or a picture up on somebody's shelf..."Bob Dylan from "Lilly Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts
  • you thought I was after your job
  • Gogol Bordello
  • Cathy's favorite band. They named this blog.
  • Wallace Fun Photos
  • My online photos.
  • J Pigg Stink Bait
  • A good bait, the current favorite
  • Satch
  • WWOZ New Orleans Jazz Fest Radio
  • The Older You Will Get Video Channel
  • I Make all these myself.
  • Stone Wall Studio
  • First Place I Was Ever Mentioned on The Internet
  • Facebook
  • Lots of me on Facebook
  • St. Patrick Catholic Church Lufkin, Tx
  • I am webmaster of the official church web site

    Powered by Blogger