Monday, August 14, 2023

Another Thrift Store Record...

A visit to the Salvation (The Sally) Army Thrift Store last week produced this item. It's a recording of the Mt. Calvary Baptist Church of Orange, Tx. From the picture on the front it looked a bit like they had Fats Domino to come over from New Orleans and play piano. It's not really Fats but it's pretty good with a half dozen old favorites covered and a short sermon apparently by the man whose name is listed on the front, The Rev. George Brown.     
The Reverend passed in 2011. He had been ordained as a minister in 1967 and took over as Pastor at Mt. Calvary in 1969. He looks to be a good man and the church still is a busy place with an impressive list of ministries

Since the Rev. took over in 1969 I am guessing this record was recorded a few years afterwards. Fashion experts can probably date it by the sport coat on the piano man. They charged 75 cents for this jewel at the thrift store. I had forgotten my wallet this day so my brother in law Matt bought it for me. Thanks, man.  

One album I did not buy, mainly because it was the cover only without a record inside was this Happy Goodman Family release. This was the follow up to the 1968 Grammy winning "The Happy Gospel of the Happy Goodmans." 


What caught my eye about this album cover was the guitars. Maybe Mosrites or Hallmarks which have a connected history and are small batch custom made in Southern California instruments of fine quality for the hot country pickers and surf bands of the day. They are very similar to the Eastwood Baritone guitar I own.  

Just looking at those guitars, a matching set of  hollow body bass with P-90 pickups and a hollow body 6 string with P-90s and a wang bar probably coupled with a big iron Fender amps I can guarantee those singers stood up there thinking the Jefferson Airplane was taking off behind them.   

I bet Fats Domino probably made a gospel album sometime in his life. The Rev, Brown died the same year I got that Eastwood guitar. It just goes to show everything is everything.   



 

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

"...I know I've seen that face before," Big Jim was thinking to himself "Maybe down in Mexico or a picture up on somebody's shelf..."Bob Dylan from "Lilly Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts
  • you thought I was after your job
  • Gogol Bordello
  • Cathy's favorite band. They named this blog.
  • Wallace Fun Photos
  • My online photos.
  • J Pigg Stink Bait
  • A good bait, the current favorite
  • Satch
  • WWOZ New Orleans Jazz Fest Radio
  • The Older You Will Get Video Channel
  • I Make all these myself.
  • Stone Wall Studio
  • First Place I Was Ever Mentioned on The Internet
  • Facebook
  • Lots of me on Facebook
  • St. Patrick Catholic Church Lufkin, Tx
  • I am webmaster of the official church web site

    Powered by Blogger