Tuesday, March 12, 2024

Life Long Learning, Tuba, Passing Music Theory, I've Done Some of Those Things...

I guess I'm what you call a life long learner. I graduated at age 50 from college which was a 180 degree career turn from something that had also been a 180 degree career turn from what I had been planning, I have been able to learn stuff about computers, how to work on an old RV trailer, new fishing techniques and of course my grandkids teach me stuff all the time. I still keep learning things about music also which along with fishing are the two things having the longest arc of seeking new information. Lately in addition to attending weekly civic band rehearsals I have also sat in and played on the M/W college band class at Angelina Jr. College. At first I was doing in because of some missed rehearsals but it's been fulfilling and I'll probably keep it up.   

Yesterday day I participated in a Zoom class with tuba player Steven Duffy. You may have seen him playing sousaphone with Lauryn Hill, Jon Batiste or with one of my favorites who I have many cds, Red Barrat and many other NYC Brass Bands. Duffy's story in a nutshell is that he came out of college a trombone player, couldn't make a living, moved to NYC, took up tuba, started funking it up like a bass guitar player might, made enough money to pay the rent and created a niche for his instrument with people looking to make their music different and distinctive outside of what traditional music education had actually prepared him for.  

I recently read on the internet that right now there are more people majoring in tuba at Florida State University than there are orchestra tuba positions available in the USA. There are going to be some 180s. Trust me on this. Duffy's online Zoom was actually a recruiting tool for his teaching studio where he schools guys and gals, some were young, some were older in playing with different bands and genres using the tuba to make it more interesting. I have seen others doing the similar thing teaching a blues jam and the use of pedal board effects with the horn. 

This is not a short cut. You are still going to have to learn your scales. You will probably have to go to college and pass music theory. The whole point and it's almost like a gospel to these teachers is that if you get outside the box there something there for you. 

I guess I have been outside the box most of my life playing tuba and have had the experience of different things and a wide listening interest. Once an older man, a tuba and string bass player in more traditional settings told me, "you are not coming from the same place I am." I think he meant that as a compliment. Maybe he learned something from me. 

I won't sign up for the studio for more study. I'm too old. I don't rule out that one Saturday night I might write a hit song about trains, momma and prison and while Ill keep playing with the civic and college bands and looking for a local niche I won't be moving with my tuba to NYC. The class was a nice reminder that I am on the right path for me and to stay with the life long learning and the long arc of music. 


Here's Red Barrat with Duffy on tuba.      


  

 

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

"...I know I've seen that face before," Big Jim was thinking to himself "Maybe down in Mexico or a picture up on somebody's shelf..."Bob Dylan from "Lilly Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts
  • you thought I was after your job
  • Gogol Bordello
  • Cathy's favorite band. They named this blog.
  • Wallace Fun Photos
  • My online photos.
  • J Pigg Stink Bait
  • A good bait, the current favorite
  • Satch
  • WWOZ New Orleans Jazz Fest Radio
  • The Older You Will Get Video Channel
  • I Make all these myself.
  • Stone Wall Studio
  • First Place I Was Ever Mentioned on The Internet
  • Facebook
  • Lots of me on Facebook
  • St. Patrick Catholic Church Lufkin, Tx
  • I am webmaster of the official church web site

    Powered by Blogger