Wednesday, July 24, 2024

The Turning Point...

I must have just turned 19 years old and was living in the dorm at Stephen F. Austin State University in the spring of 1976 when the guy in the room next door, Quince, introduced me to the music of British bluesman John Mayall. Quince is still listening to good music and I know he has seen Mayall, who passed away today at 90 years old, in concert a number of times over the years.  

After hearing this news I checked the old record collection and found I had an even dozen John Mayall recordings. Most of these records I bought in the late 1970s but Mayall's recording goes back to the early 60s British Blues boom when roots American music and the people who played it were more appreciated in England than at home. Mayall's bands featured one of the most extensive who's who family trees of music with many British musicians getting their start honing chops in his groups such as Eric Clapton and members of Fleetwood Mac and the Rolling Stones. Recently Texas blues guitarist Carolyn Wonderland has been featured in the guitar chair for Mayall's music. 

At the time Mayall appealed to me, a horn player, because he used jazz horn players in big band type sections like one of my favorites trumpeter Blue Mitchell, and he released albums with unconventional lineups he called "blues without bashing' that featured flute, nylon fingerstyle guitar and violin. In these records there were no drums which was a departure from the style of blues Mayall had been playing.

For a musician to live to 90 years old and stay active as Mayall did only recently retiring is a good run. He's scheduled to soon be inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. He deserves it. 

 

 

   

 

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Chris Edwards said...

Beautiful take on an elemental musical force, hermano. Yesterday afternoon, I got a hankering to listen to the "Beano" LP, but couldn't find my copy. Haven't listened to that record in years, and then comes the night, and I see news where the legend had passed.

Mayall was a force of nature – a great singer and a damn fine, unique harp player. Long may he run!

9:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for reading!

9:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

"...I know I've seen that face before," Big Jim was thinking to himself "Maybe down in Mexico or a picture up on somebody's shelf..."Bob Dylan from "Lilly Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts
  • you thought I was after your job
  • Gogol Bordello
  • Cathy's favorite band. They named this blog.
  • Wallace Fun Photos
  • My online photos.
  • J Pigg Stink Bait
  • A good bait, the current favorite
  • Satch
  • WWOZ New Orleans Jazz Fest Radio
  • The Older You Will Get Video Channel
  • I Make all these myself.
  • Stone Wall Studio
  • First Place I Was Ever Mentioned on The Internet
  • Facebook
  • Lots of me on Facebook
  • St. Patrick Catholic Church Lufkin, Tx
  • I am webmaster of the official church web site

    Powered by Blogger