Thursday, October 27, 2005

Character deconstruction...

OK I saw something, I'll try to deal with it, I just got to say something.

I was bike riding down a dusty no rain since the last hurricane East Texas road a couple of days ago and I spied a character on foot down the road a piece. Me approaching from one direction, him from the other, a classic east meets west senerio in the making.

Now this road being traveled by myself and this fellow, (it was a male) is short, has no houses, being bordered on one side by woods and on the other by a wholesale plant nursery. I chose it to ride because no traffic, no pit bull he won't bite, no meth cooking trailer dwellers. Why did he choose it?

I think I was dressed in shorts, t-shirt, tennis shoes. Not really sport bike riding type equipment, but I got other hobbies I go full force on. It might have been slightly unusual to meet a middle aged man on a bike, but hey 50 is the new 30.

I now come to my characters description. Age about 13 maybe 14. Trucker hat, Red, I think it said Lone Star Dog Food. Black Racing t shirt. Racing is the new rassling. Puka shell necklace. Why are puka shell necklaces making a comeback? They were bad jewelry in the 70s, they look terrible with a trucker hat. He also had a portable cd player, not the latest ipod thing, but plain old cd player and head phones. I bet that was some terrible music he was listening to. I don't want to just diss the boy's music, I have at least 1200 cds and records in my collection. I'll bet I could pick at least 200 that would be personally offensive based on the individuals traits of the person I was trying to infuriate. But I bet his music was that manufactured pro tools created stuff that is massively shoveled out to the public as the next cool thing.

As we passed I said hi, he said hi. We each pass on, I continued my ride making a loop through the backroads, arriving home by a different route. Where did he arrive to? Will he ever arrive?

Just had to deconstruct, just a little, seemed like such a strange combination of things, not ruling out my participation in the encounter at all, what happened is what happened.

2 Comments:

Blogger Dan Maxwell said...

Wouldn't it be ironic if he had blogged about the encounter, too?!

11:04 AM  
Blogger Carl said...

Oh yeah, I bet he sure did wonder what was up with the old dude on the bike. Worried about my heart most likely, was he going to have to give mouth to mouth.

9:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

"...I know I've seen that face before," Big Jim was thinking to himself "Maybe down in Mexico or a picture up on somebody's shelf..."Bob Dylan from "Lilly Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts
  • you thought I was after your job
  • Gogol Bordello
  • Cathy's favorite band. They named this blog.
  • Wallace Fun Photos
  • My online photos.
  • J Pigg Stink Bait
  • A good bait, the current favorite
  • Satch
  • WWOZ New Orleans Jazz Fest Radio
  • The Older You Will Get Video Channel
  • I Make all these myself.
  • Stone Wall Studio
  • First Place I Was Ever Mentioned on The Internet
  • Facebook
  • Lots of me on Facebook
  • St. Patrick Catholic Church Lufkin, Tx
  • I am webmaster of the official church web site

    Powered by Blogger