Wednesday, July 19, 2006

It might be one of those days...

I had a great idea of an autobiographical musical type posting for today, but after the mornings events I may have to put it off another day.

I wake and go outside, all dogs, mine and neighborhood are looking up a tree, they are busy before it gets too hot. I feed and I notice El Guapo, see previous post for his picture if you don't know him, has something that seems to be stuck to his mouth. He is trying to get it off, looks like a string and animal kindness person I am I want to help. I pick him up and pull on string. String has fish hook attached and is hooked under the tongue. Looks like he has found an old hook that maybe had a bit of old cat bait on it and tried to eat it. Barb looks buried, but luckily it is just one of three.

So it's one of those things that happens in the mist of other activity, Cathy is leaving to visit an out of town friend that's laid up with injury, loading food in the car to take so I have to wake my 15 year old medical animal attention assistant.

We arm him up, guys in the band, remember last night at the gig, the small pair of pliers I loaned Larry, they are just right for pulling a small dog tongue out. El Guapo is making those noises that the kids make him make on purpose sometimes, you know the sound of a small dog fussing. Also kicking and scratching. You have to count you blessings at this point, it could have been the big dog.

I wiggle the hook around, the dog struggles, I have visions of the extra hours from work last week vanishing in vet bills. El Guapo is Spanish, we cry out to him:
"Solo va a dolar un poco" (this will only hurt a little)
"Calmese, calmse" (calm down)
"Todo saldra bien" (everything will be ok)

We stop for a minute to look up the vet number to see what time they open, to regroup and to review hook removal techniques. Mary looks at El Guapo and the hook is gone. Where? Did he swallow it? No! Then we find it on the floor, thankfully before we have to start a process to remove it from a foot. I guess our actions were enough to turn the barb and stretch the hole that it fell out.
Or El Guapo got tired of us and got it out on his own.

The patient is currently resting well after the procedure. He's in bed with Mary. Full recovery expected.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

"...I know I've seen that face before," Big Jim was thinking to himself "Maybe down in Mexico or a picture up on somebody's shelf..."Bob Dylan from "Lilly Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts
  • you thought I was after your job
  • Gogol Bordello
  • Cathy's favorite band. They named this blog.
  • Wallace Fun Photos
  • My online photos.
  • J Pigg Stink Bait
  • A good bait, the current favorite
  • Satch
  • WWOZ New Orleans Jazz Fest Radio
  • The Older You Will Get Video Channel
  • I Make all these myself.
  • Stone Wall Studio
  • First Place I Was Ever Mentioned on The Internet
  • Facebook
  • Lots of me on Facebook
  • St. Patrick Catholic Church Lufkin, Tx
  • I am webmaster of the official church web site

    Powered by Blogger