Friday, April 13, 2007

Good Weekend for Live Music...

I hate not to support the local scene but I am stuck here writing a case study. It's mostly finished, I spent three hours going over it with a fine tooth comb, tightening up sentences (just like I do here) citing all sources (just like I do here) which took longer than I thought and I still have a few power point slides to finish the presentation aspect of this mess.

So it looks like home work tomorrow. Unless I really get off work early and swim this project to shore I'll miss out on the Americana Festival. Also in Crockett Texas at the Camp St. Cafe is the sister of songwrite Steve Earle, Stacy Earle.

At the Americania Fest is Ray Wylie Hubbard and the South Austin Jug band.

I saw Ray Wylie in the late 70s-early 80s and my ears rang for several days. He was backed by the Lost Gonzo Band and they smoked with a rendition of Led Zepplins Communication Breakdown. I often draw on that performance and the selection of material for the inspiration to not put yourself in a box musically. Go ahead and blow the doors off the place, let other folks put a name on what you do.

I saw the jub band in Austin maybe a year or two ago. Jimmie Dale Gilmore's son Colin was also on the bill, he happens to be friends with Katie, and his dad was in the audience for the show, which was at a coffee house type place.

I reflect on that evening too sometimes. Me and Jimmie Dale, Saturday night, neither one of us had a gig.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

"...I know I've seen that face before," Big Jim was thinking to himself "Maybe down in Mexico or a picture up on somebody's shelf..."Bob Dylan from "Lilly Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts
  • you thought I was after your job
  • Gogol Bordello
  • Cathy's favorite band. They named this blog.
  • Wallace Fun Photos
  • My online photos.
  • J Pigg Stink Bait
  • A good bait, the current favorite
  • Satch
  • WWOZ New Orleans Jazz Fest Radio
  • The Older You Will Get Video Channel
  • I Make all these myself.
  • Stone Wall Studio
  • First Place I Was Ever Mentioned on The Internet
  • Facebook
  • Lots of me on Facebook
  • St. Patrick Catholic Church Lufkin, Tx
  • I am webmaster of the official church web site

    Powered by Blogger