Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Soundtracks of late...

For the music fan, I have not covered the tunes spinning in our changers. Naturally there is the new release by GoGol Bordello, the namers of this blog. Cathy says she smells sell out, losing the gypsy essence, better hair cuts, reviews in Rolling Stone and the usual signs. Don't let that stop you though, I bet the rock in most peoples collections is already dead.

Another guy in heavy rotation is Jim White. We picked up on him off emusic through his soundtrack to the documentary he made about our neighbors, Buford and Brenda, called "Wrong Eyed Jesus." Just think about that, if the picture on the wall of Jesus had the wrong eyes. We have picked up several od his cds over the past month and he is mining the southern Gothic vein to great effect. Get a couple of his cds and rent the Tennessee Williams screen play "Baby Doll", sit on the porch and watch the neighbors, man that's some good summer living.

Also check out Papa Mali. He got profiled in Guitar Player magazine and I thought this sounds like something I would like. Called Do you Thing, they had it on emusic. Then I realized the guy was an acquaintance. He was none other than Malcolm Wellbourne who used to play guitar in the Killer Bees, a Shreveport based reggae band from the 80s. He was a friend of Gary Strong's and we actually stood in line to get in the Jazz Fest together one time. Don't let the voodoo persona fool you, real nice guy. Wrote a great tribute to Strong on his online obit page.

This is just a quick run down so you guys get started jamming.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Dan Maxwell said...

Maybe further evidence of a sell out - GoGol Bordello were on Letterman Tuesday. I'd never seen them before, but they looked more gypsie than punk to me!

12:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

"...I know I've seen that face before," Big Jim was thinking to himself "Maybe down in Mexico or a picture up on somebody's shelf..."Bob Dylan from "Lilly Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts
  • you thought I was after your job
  • Gogol Bordello
  • Cathy's favorite band. They named this blog.
  • Wallace Fun Photos
  • My online photos.
  • J Pigg Stink Bait
  • A good bait, the current favorite
  • Satch
  • WWOZ New Orleans Jazz Fest Radio
  • The Older You Will Get Video Channel
  • I Make all these myself.
  • Stone Wall Studio
  • First Place I Was Ever Mentioned on The Internet
  • Facebook
  • Lots of me on Facebook
  • St. Patrick Catholic Church Lufkin, Tx
  • I am webmaster of the official church web site

    Powered by Blogger