Saturday, January 19, 2008

Folk Art...

One more person to mention that lived her life out on the Melrose Plantation.

Clementine Parker was a field hand that picked up some paint that was discarded by one of the artsy types staying in the Yucca house and started turning out scenes like this in what has become known as "folk art."



Clementine, who passed in 1988 at the age of 101 was honored with a one women show at the Smithsonion in 1982. These pictures are from a mural painted on ply board that can be found on the second story of the Africa House pictured in the last post.



Subject matter is the important stuff. Life in general with many images of baptism, angels, work, church, play, death and marriage. If you look at the juke joint scene it depicts the tale of a man who would not mind his business and suffered a common Saturday nigh punishment for this type of thing which was being shot in the foot. Take a closer look at this scene. The bigger the character, the more important. These are actually folks that Clementine knew, this juke joint still operates nearby and it's safe to say that the small folks in this picture were not well liked by the artist.



There were also numerous paintings hung in the big house that were from all stages of Clementine's career.

I guess to draw all my thoughts together about what I saw and felt while standing around on the banks of the cane river I would have to say just because you cruise past those folks who do not appear to be accomplishing things in the busy time oriented sense that the world imposes on us does not mean there is not fire and passion for putting what someone feels, on paper, on ply board or floating around on the internet somewhere.

Like Papa Mali said, "I am trying to find my Place..."


Posted by Picasa

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

"...I know I've seen that face before," Big Jim was thinking to himself "Maybe down in Mexico or a picture up on somebody's shelf..."Bob Dylan from "Lilly Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts
  • you thought I was after your job
  • Gogol Bordello
  • Cathy's favorite band. They named this blog.
  • Wallace Fun Photos
  • My online photos.
  • J Pigg Stink Bait
  • A good bait, the current favorite
  • Satch
  • WWOZ New Orleans Jazz Fest Radio
  • The Older You Will Get Video Channel
  • I Make all these myself.
  • Stone Wall Studio
  • First Place I Was Ever Mentioned on The Internet
  • Facebook
  • Lots of me on Facebook
  • St. Patrick Catholic Church Lufkin, Tx
  • I am webmaster of the official church web site

    Powered by Blogger