Wednesday, June 04, 2008

What I See...

If you tune in here regularly you see lots of pictures. I or my close associates make those pictures. Pictures of things I have seen with my eyes. I heard something on the news today that brought back memories of something I saw with my eyes a few years ago in a suburb of New Orleans.


It was spring break. We had gone to New Orleans, taken the kids, the in laws and had a big old time at the St Patrick's day parades. Just like Mardi Gras, just more green for the Irish. What most people don't know is that a couple of days after St. Patrick's day is St Joseph's day and this time it's the Italians celebrating with more parades.

We were at a St Joseph's parade on the outskirts of New Orleans, actually on our way out of town in the Metairie/Kenner parish area. Before the parade a bad man and his entourage passed down the street. It was David Duke, former Grand Dragon of the Klu Klux Klan, seeker of various public offices from State Rep to President and he was shaking hands and kissing babies, pressing the flesh on his home ground. The area we were in had been a strong point of his public support.

As he drew near I warned my kids, they were used to catching the beads and trinkets thrown from parade floats "don't take any thing from that man" just in case he was handing out freebies. He actually stopped by us and shook my father in laws hand, just grabbed it up. My father in law looked sick, but he felt better later when the parade stalled and Pete Fountain's float was stopped in front of us for 20 minutes wailing away of some great dixieland music.

So it was the news item I heard today that brought into focus the things I had seen with my eyes. Today I heard that John McCain, with the nomination of Obama as the Democratic for president in the bag, campaigned in Metairie and Kenner Louisiana. He was going for those voters that would pick him for all the wrong reasons. He was covering that old ground that I saw Duke walking that day.


Those facts, as I saw them were not included in today's news. It's one of those things you have to get out and see yourself.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was sick!

11:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

"...I know I've seen that face before," Big Jim was thinking to himself "Maybe down in Mexico or a picture up on somebody's shelf..."Bob Dylan from "Lilly Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts
  • you thought I was after your job
  • Gogol Bordello
  • Cathy's favorite band. They named this blog.
  • Wallace Fun Photos
  • My online photos.
  • J Pigg Stink Bait
  • A good bait, the current favorite
  • Satch
  • WWOZ New Orleans Jazz Fest Radio
  • The Older You Will Get Video Channel
  • I Make all these myself.
  • Stone Wall Studio
  • First Place I Was Ever Mentioned on The Internet
  • Facebook
  • Lots of me on Facebook
  • St. Patrick Catholic Church Lufkin, Tx
  • I am webmaster of the official church web site

    Powered by Blogger