Wednesday, February 04, 2009

I Collect Art...

Lots of stuff hanging on the walls around here vibing the funk as they say. Don't ask about "they", I mean if you don't know who "they" is that we speak of who is you?

We will start with art as in painted, drawn, that medium. Might be other arts around but I think we can agree that the folks creating these first examples considered considered themselves artist as opposed to someone who might create art by mistake.

These first two, gifts to me from Katie and Jeff on my recent birthday hold the distinction of having won first place in bad art shows. Why does someone enter their painting in a bad art show? Perhaps it was the urging of an SO I suspect. Any way this first one is called "Casting Away Sins." He is not in too bad a shape if he got all in one sack I would say.

This next beauty is just loaded with 80s ambiance. Just brings back those heady days when with each dip in the ocean a fairy princess could be carried back to shore. I think the date on the back of this is 1984. I can't remember if there is an artist name on the back of these two, I'm too tired to pull the big old nails I hung them with to see.







This is a painted fabric bought in a New Orleans junk shop. A real junk shop, not one of those antique stores like in the French Quarter. By Suzy Cameleon and titled "A manifestation of Evil" it depicts various primitive peoples, mostly feminine or asexual forcing a large creature over a cliff into a fiery pit. On the creatures back are painted words like, war, greed, stupidity, racism, and so on, evils that are being banished to burn by folks apparently pure, united and uncorrupted. This work set me back $10.

Thanks for visiting as always, stay tuned, I'll get around to posting the good stuff later.
Posted by Picasa

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am still laughing about the lone sack of sins...good stuff!! (BTW Evansville 'fish artist' is Michael Key.)

9:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

"...I know I've seen that face before," Big Jim was thinking to himself "Maybe down in Mexico or a picture up on somebody's shelf..."Bob Dylan from "Lilly Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts
  • you thought I was after your job
  • Gogol Bordello
  • Cathy's favorite band. They named this blog.
  • Wallace Fun Photos
  • My online photos.
  • J Pigg Stink Bait
  • A good bait, the current favorite
  • Satch
  • WWOZ New Orleans Jazz Fest Radio
  • The Older You Will Get Video Channel
  • I Make all these myself.
  • Stone Wall Studio
  • First Place I Was Ever Mentioned on The Internet
  • Facebook
  • Lots of me on Facebook
  • St. Patrick Catholic Church Lufkin, Tx
  • I am webmaster of the official church web site

    Powered by Blogger