Sunday, December 19, 2010

More Banjo Restoration...

If you can call new strings, lemon oil and a good dusting a restoration I got this B&D Super Banjo in playing shape. According to my banjo consultant and Pop Fest Promoter, Pop himself, it dates from the 1920s. He gave it to Cathy's Grandfather Langdon, who played it with Houston's Bayou Club before returning the instrument to Pop.

This Banjo has a better sound than the Kingston I recently got back in action. It has a good chunky neck while the Kingston has a more slim guitar taper.
A nice headstock with nice fret inlays. I still give kudos to the Kingston for overall ornamentation. As well as I play, I might chose the Kingston at this point for visual impact alone, make no doubt, this is the better banjo.
Back of the headstock. Tuners a little sticky at this point makes tuning a bit iffy, but I think it will be ok.













USA made, Groton, Conn.

Posted by Picasa

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

"...I know I've seen that face before," Big Jim was thinking to himself "Maybe down in Mexico or a picture up on somebody's shelf..."Bob Dylan from "Lilly Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts
  • you thought I was after your job
  • Gogol Bordello
  • Cathy's favorite band. They named this blog.
  • Wallace Fun Photos
  • My online photos.
  • J Pigg Stink Bait
  • A good bait, the current favorite
  • Satch
  • WWOZ New Orleans Jazz Fest Radio
  • The Older You Will Get Video Channel
  • I Make all these myself.
  • Stone Wall Studio
  • First Place I Was Ever Mentioned on The Internet
  • Facebook
  • Lots of me on Facebook
  • St. Patrick Catholic Church Lufkin, Tx
  • I am webmaster of the official church web site

    Powered by Blogger